Why does my 86 vette drive 10 miles or so and then want to die?

sdc1979
0

Asked by sdc1979 Aug 09, 2012 at 11:23 AM about the 1986 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

It starts cutting out and when I give it gas it tries to stall the engine. Installed a new fuel filter.

13,105

Could be your ignition coil or ignition module. They sometimes will break down when they get hot. If, after the car cools down for a few hours then will re-start & run again, these are likely suspects. HTH. -Jim

sdc1979
0

When it does it I can shut the car off and start it and it will run fine for another ten miles or so. Now the service engine soon light comes on when it starts cutting out.

13,105

If, you can, pull the trouble code. Sounds like it might be dumping fuel & flooding out.

CJ Michaels
605

on those early C4's they had an issue of water getting into the air intake and seizing up the engine....also fuel injectors had common shorts in them, sometimes making it so the car cant be started....idk if this is THE issue, but check out this link, it can help in the future http://www.corvsport.com/Corvette/C4/1985-1991/1986/C4_1986_CommonIssues.html

Denis Sagendorf
325

BACK BEFORE ELECTRONIC IGNITION. THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN A SIGN TNE COIL WAS GOING OUT.