On a 85 Corvette the new battery sparks when positive cable is connected. It gets real hot in seconds. former batt. was dry and dead. this car has been sitting one year now.

RockerPaul
20

Asked by Nov 17, 2012 at 02:35 AM about the 1985 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

Some how this positive cable must be grounding out or something.  With former dead batt. and start / charger I had starter turning. It's slipping on the flywheel though.  But new batt. archs bad when positive cable is connected.  What could be the delima ?

jwhalen70
930

Positive wire goes to the starter and then u have smaller wires that branch of from the starter, check those wires make sure they are not bare and grounding out, i

jwhalen70
930

Also if it has been sitting for a year, l had a vehile i bought real cheap, had been sitting for a year, rats chewed up al lot wires, so that may be your problem, look around and look at all ur wiring harnesses, all my wires were chewed through on the bottom, had 18 different wires that had been chewed.

RockerPaul
20

One other posibility is after starter was installed, It appears that the socket used to tighten positive post touched the fender well. I have no power, but fuses look good. Could I have blown a fuseble link, or a main fuse ? Stumped but thanks for any help here.

jwhalen70
930

Ok, if it was a fuseable link the connection would be broken, so that would not cause a short, unless wire was bare grounding against something. I think u said u had new battery. Is the battery charge correctly.if a battery is compleatly drained u can hook up a the positive side of the cable to the negative post of a battery and the negative cable to the positive post and charge battery, that is the only difference in left and right batteries, is it possible, that your battery even though the terminal says its the positive side is actually the negative, i have seen brand new batteries be chsrged backwards, this forsure would be causing the major grounding issue. U may be sending all the batteries juice directly into ur negative cable

Denis Sagendorf
415

I WAS THINKING THAT THE CABLES MAY BE ON THE STARTER BACKWARDS, SENDING THE JUICE BACK TO BATTERY.

RockerPaul
20

Dang If I did not bolt on the main power line. A trio of wires was all I had used Momentarely, and then no power no start. I figured this out car runs good now. thanx for tip.