The 'Air Bag' Light will not turn off?

Abraham Huerta
5

Asked by Abraham Jul 15, 2009 at 01:07 AM about the Hyundai Sonata

We just got the car almost 2 and 1/2 weeks ago have been without a vehicle for 5 years and when we got the sonata no light were on until now. we have not been in a crash or nothing so i do not see why a light would be on when nothing has happend.

Gabriel Quant
165

Probably just a faulty sensor. Could be the sensor in the seats is off and it thinks that someone is either there or not there when they are. So it think that person is not safe and it doesnt know what to do, either to engage or disengage the airbags. Take it back and get it scanned and fixed. Preferably the dealership if it's a new car and under warranty.

mr_me06
410

if this is a 2006 they have a recall for the sensor just take it to the dealer and they will fix it for free

You think this is helpful.
Allen Manning
75

What year is it?

tilly1024
230

is it just 2006 that they recalled? Because mine is a 2003 and the light came on one day and will not turn off, and the warranty is gone.

dmcal
370

i HAVE A 2002- Air Bag Light came on Monday and has been on ever since (4 days now).

buccaneerz89
1,345

Could be a faulty sensor, would be a good idea to get that check out soon as possible because if you get into a acccident the air bags will NOT deploy. Get it scanned at your local parts store and post the code here.

Christopher Taza
1,705

The 2002-2005 body style Sonata had issues with the connectors for the side air bag having bad connection causing high resistance codes. Connectors run underneath the seat and can be bumped by stuff getting pushed under the seat. Sometimes the harness needs shifted a little bit to lessen the tension on the connectors.

You think this is helpful.
LuvNAz311
70

I thknk Hyundai has a real issue here. We have a 2005 Sonata and after about the first year (we got it in Oct '04) we've had trouble with the air bag light being on. We've had it in the dealership at minimum 4 times in the past 5 years for this and they have NEVER been able to correct it. Twice now we've had trim fall off the car, and have had to have a new power anteana motor replaced twice. All these issues are continual and don't seem to be able to be corrected while under warranty, coincidence? NOW they want $325 to replace the trim that fell off and $450 to replace the antena motor. I will never buy another Hyundai.

gschiavo
290

I have a 2007 Sonata and the airbag light came on 3 months ago. I took it to the dealer and they said there was a recall on the passenger airbag. They removed the passenger seat and sent it to CA for the repair. They also gave me a loaner car. This was all covered and there was no cost to me. In addition, with reference to one

hippo437
70

I have a 2008 sonata and after a recall my air bag light is on.. Going to write to the company.

AgelessHippie1
40

Have 2002 Sonata with airbag light on and mechanic cannot locate issue. Could this be side air bag issue covered under later recall?

TJ1953
50

We have a 2006 Sonata, the air bag light needed fixed 4 times since we bought the car new. Now it came on again but now we have 103,000 miles, it's not covered under warranty now. I'll never buy a Hyundai again.

You think this is helpful.
sonata2011driver
50

Adding to the list sonata 2011 has same problem. Air bag lights on and car has not been into any accident or crash

ByteMyPixel
30

Same here on 2011, air bag light issue AND passenger seatbelt light is always flashing.

tresor248
30

I'm only owner of 2002 Sanata and airbag light came on 2 years ago, around the time I rescued a bull terrier pup, and she road in front seat of car all the time. When puppy reached 15 or 20 pounds, I noticed the airbag light started going on and off intermittently, then eventually just stayed on. My son worked a summer intern job at a major automaker in seatbelt engineering and safety prior to graduating from college; and found could be issue below. The puppy riding in front passenger seat set off sensor warning that passenger does not meet the minimum weight and or height requirement, and airbag could cause passenger seriously injured including death. It is meant to remind parents to buckle small children in the back in child safety seat. I now buckle 80lb puppy in back seat for both our safety; but airbag light remains on...

Leonjames
50

Does anyone have a Hyundai sonata 2011 that know anything about airbag light

TJ1953
50

I received a one time recall on my 2006 Hyundai about two months ago. Maybe worth it to check with a dealer.

Madridsp31
20

I have a 2011 Sonata and the airbag light is on. The light on the driver side dash is on when you start the car, and then goes off, but comes back on when car is running. Was there a recall for this year 2011 too?

ZoltanB
10

Got a 2007 Hyundai Accent SE. Same problem as everyone here. Airbag light. What pisses me off of the dealer "fixed" this issue 4 years ago when the system was under warranty. Now I'm convinced they just cleared the code. At 110,542 miles there's no warranty. Plus having issues getting it smogged here in Cali. IF ANYONE IS GOING TO FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST HYUNDAI FOR STAMDING BEHIND THEIR VEHCLES AND PUTTING PEOPLES LIVES AT RISK LET ME KNOW. I'll sign up in a heart beat. (Assuming I'm not killed in an accident 'cause my POS didn't activate its airbags.