The 'Check Engine' Light does not turn off?

Abraham Huerta
5

Asked by Abraham Jul 15, 2009 at 01:03 AM about the Hyundai Sonata

I have read every discussion on this page and thankfully my sonata runs good based on the reviews i read. the car is a well taken care of car but the check engine light stays on. it has been about 6 days and the light does not turn off. the engine and the fuse box are doing well. everything else is doing well. have had friends that work with vehicles and they say they do not know. i need an answer. my last place to go is to a dealership.

Mike Bonnell
6,155

No one can help until you get someone to pull the codes the computer is reading in order for it to put the check engine light on.

Joe Finis Sr.
745

Check the gas cap it is a common cause of the check engine light problem.

mikee
30

STOP using ethenol gas it causes poorer gas milage and resluts in the check engine light coming on. After two tank fulls of PURE gas ( non Ethenol ) the light went off!

Jenifer2424
40

Take it to the dealer. My 2011 elantra has been in 4 times for the check engine light. Thy replaced the o2 sensors, but the light still comes on. Hyundai corp is flyin in a tech, because they are apparently having widespread problems, primarily on the east coast. Dealer tried to tell me it was bad gas in the region, but I think that's a load of doodoo. Take it in.. Emissions system is warranted for 8 urs 80,000 miles!

5,715

Just have the codes read at autizone or something. The check engine light neans the computer thinks something is wrong. About 50% of codes do not create a driveability issue but is emissions control related.

Andrew Webster
20

FYI, I had the same problem (Sonata 2009) and had a dealer check it. They pulled the code, told me it was an evaporative system problem, and asked about refueling and the fuel cap. They reassured me, as I was in the middle of a nearly 3000 mile drive, that it wasn't critical. So, here's the thing. We were at around 6000 feet above sea level, in New Mexico. When we got to the Bay Area in San Francisco a few days later, guess what - the light went out on its own. Which suggests to me that it was to do with altitude and the changes in atmospheric pressure, and actually nothing was wrong at all.

Appiusforum
10

I have a 2005 Sonata and have had issues over the years with the Check Engine light. Every time it was an evaporation leak and I got blamed on the gas cap. Recently it comes on more often and I changed the gas cap which did not solve the problem. The dealer is suggesting the Purge Valve replacement. Any thoughts on the forum?