98 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4...can a hydraulic clutch system fail from a pooly charged battery?

mmwilson52
0

Asked by mmwilson52 May 14, 2012 at 01:50 PM about the Dodge RAM 150

When shifting clutch,a noise that sounds like the clutch is struggling to engage (grinding) occurs.  It is intermittent.  Sometimes, if I push the clutch pedal in and let truck roll a few feet first and then shift, there is no noise.  Checked clutch pedal bushings...in great shape.  Changed out battery (found to not be holding a charge), and the noise, sor now , seems to be gone.  TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!  Any input?

Alexander Curtis
325

I think you are trying to shift between gears too fast.

mmwilson52
0

Nope...even with pushing in the clutch pedal slowly and letting it roll several feet before engaging it intermittently grinds. Now that the battery has been changed out, the noise has gone away. TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE...

Alexander Curtis
325

electric clutch or hydrolic?

mmwilson52
0

Hydraulic clutch system. I put about 40 miles on the truck yesterday (that's why I haven't responded till now), and it didn't make a sound or feel tight when shifting the entire trip. I had two other mechanics I trust drive, hear and feel that grinding, before I contacted CarGurus. Then I changed out the battery. No more sounds, and shifts as smooth as ever...too good to be true. Every time I shift it now, I am waiting for it to reappear. P.S. The hydraulic system shows no damage, or leakage anywhere visible, and the fluid reservoir is full.