what is the clicking noise i hear when I try to start my 96 chevy s 10. it wont turn over at all.

pinkylea
0

Asked by pinkylea Nov 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM about the Chevrolet S-10

My chevy s 10 will not turn over.  All i hear is a clicking sound.  The battery has been checked and is fine.  all terminals and etc. are ok.

49,595

It's sounds like the starter is not getting the power to start or the starter is bad. Put a meter across the battery and read the volts when the key is turned to start. If the volts drop, it's not putting out enough amps to the starter. If the volts don't drop, the brushes are too short or hung up in the starter. Normally the volts drop down to 8-9 volts at start with a good starter motor.

14,835

Also give all the, batterie's and starter's, electrical connections a wiggle just to make sure they are tight.

MADDOGH3
165

I think the guys are right. Your selenoid is picking (that's the click you hear) but the starter probably has a dead spot. I kow this may sound funny but I have done it before many times before with an old 77 Corvette.... While someone turns the key, give the stsrter a few taps with a hammer. You will need to get it replaced but at least it will get you to the garage.

MrsKings
10

i need help!!!!!! my 96 s10 wont start we have to push it in order for it to start.....it all started this morning when i turned it on it started making an ugly loud sound and when i would push the break the noise would stop and the head lights would get bright and if i where to let go of the break the lights would dim and the noise would start....another thiing my back lights wont turn on if the head lights are on