My '85 Honda Accord SE-i "RED ENGINE CHECK LITE" comes on INTERMITTENTLY. How can I stop this lite from coming on and off. When idling it never comes on.

erlendson
0

Asked by erlendson May 14, 2012 at 01:34 PM about the Honda Accord

68,035

You need to scan the vehicle for fault codes. Once you have the code, you can diagnose the issue on why the light is coming on. It is an emission related issue. You are correct, you can't pass the smog test with the light on. Have autozone scan the car for you to get the code and post back here.

erlendson
0

AutoZone parts stores are forbidden by CA law to scan cars for control module codes. You can thank the mechanics' lobbyist and lawyers for that. My 1985 Honda Accord SE-i needs an ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (PGM-F). It is located under the driver's seat. I've been informed a USED one from a wrecking yard is perfectly O.K. , and it should cost less than $100. Can anyone help me with this? Carl

Robert Dempster
0

You don't read the codes for a 1985 Honda with a OBDII code reader anyway. There is a series of 4 LED's if you look under the driver seat from the back. If you can tell me which are lit, I have the table to tell which system is causing the problem. I think that you need to turn the key to the "on" position for them to be lit. Who told you the ECM is bad? If there is a code, the system causing the code needs to be repaired or the same problem will re-occur with a new ECM.