Is it possible to tell if a 2007 - 2011 Lincoln Town Car has air suspension by the vin # ?... and if so how? Not one used car salesman EVER knows !Thanks

2packs4sure
30

Asked by 2packs4sure Mar 17, 2013 at 02:12 PM about the Lincoln Town Car

It would help me greatly if i could tell from the VIN # if a 2007 - 2011  Town Car has air suspension.

18,425

Most did. To be sure climb under the back of the car & look at the rear shocks. There will be small air lines, one each, plugged into each shock. HTH. -Jim

51,825

You can not tell if it has air shocks or any other feature from the VIN. The most that you can find out is the year, engine and model. - http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/ Ford/VIN_Codes

2packs4sure
30

If i were inspecting the car in person i'd know in 10 seconds if it had air suspension. I need to know if it's possible to tell from the VIN and if it is , how. This is the VIN from a loaded 07' Town Car for sale at a massive used car dealership here in Houston. VIN# 1LNHM82W27Y637793. The salesman says it does not have air suspension. For me to go and confirm that would be huge undertaking. I've been there before, it's a drive, the place is a madhouse, and the salesman sucks. I need a better way. Thanks, John

2packs4sure
30

My local Lincoln dealership indicated the VIN WOULD show air suspension but after talking to 3 different people over 15 minutes no one could tell me how. You would think a MAJOR option like that would show up in the VIN. Maybe not. I'd just like a definitive answer. Thanks, John

16,045

yes you can tell from the VIN. If i take a VIN to the parts department they can pull up a list of every option on the vehicle. but you can just look under the back of the vehicle if you see a coil spring then it doesnt if you see a big ol' shock looking thing with a rubber bladder on it then its air suspension. or pop the trunk and look for the disable switch on the left hand side. if it is not present then there is no air suspension. But if you perfer to take it to the dealer go to the parts department with your VIN and have then pull it up. A compatent parts person can do this for you.

16,045

my mistake i did not catch that inpsecting the vehicle is not an option. so disregard that part of my answer.

2packs4sure
30

It is an option. It's just a pain...... These dealerships and sales personel are generally uninformed and lazy. They just glance at an email with your specific wants and don't listen at all on the phone. It's very frustrating. Thanks

limmoman
395

The original suspension should have been "air suspension", that's how the car comes. When the air bags eventually go bad, which they will, some people retro fit coil springs. That may be the case if the salesman says it doesn't have the air suspension.

2packs4sure
30

That's possible, but i know he didn't look personally and the car has 32000 miles so a conversion is unlikely. At that dealership it's a whole process to get a car in front of you. I want to know from the VIN if possible so i could say to the dude, " It Came With It, Double Check For Me".... or " It Came With It, Was It Converted ".... Thanks

limmoman
395

Like others have said, you will need to go to a dealer so they can run the vin #. Or, if you have access to OASIS, that's the data base that Ford uses for it's car information, the same that the dealers use. The vin # itself has no coding for suspension.

2packs4sure
30

Oasis i'll check into that. So the VIN itself has no coding, they use the VIN in the database then that would tell them? Is that right? Thanks

16,045

you wont be able to access oasis with a persons who works for ford's login and password. its for dealer use. hell just give me the vin and ill take it to parts and tell you if it came from the factory with air suspension and be done with it. hows that sound?

2packs4sure
30

I'll got a friend with a friend who works for Ford and in the future i may bug him but if you'd do this one i'd appreciate it. 1LNHM82W27Y637793 Thanks

16,045

that vehicle from the factory had air suspension. much appericated if you mark helpful.

2packs4sure
30

I just talked to the salesman and though he swore he had looked it and it didn't have it, now i get double talk. Did the 07' have the suspension on off switch in the trunk? Thanks very much for your help.

limmoman
395

Suspension on/off is on the left wall (drivers side) of the trunk. Says ON/OFF on the switch.

16,045

any year if it had air suspension has the on/off switch.

2packs4sure
30

The salesdude said it didn't have the switch, but i can't tell if he actually looked or not. He got very evasive. Thanks all.

2packs4sure
30

The salesdude said it didn't have the switch, but i doubt he looked. He got very evasive when i told him the VIN check said it had it. Who knows... Thanks all.

limmoman
395

Look for a car somewhere else. This place doesn't sound like they have it together. At any given time, there are a thousand TC's for sale in the US. This site is good for finding cars and so is Auto Trader.

2packs4sure
30

I'm watching many places in my area. Houston, but like i said, if you call and ask if the car has the air suspension they either don't know, or say yes and you still don't really know. I've heard that some 2011 Town Cars had it but so far i haven't found one. That's why i so badly wanted to be able to take the VIN and find out myself. Thanks

limmoman
395

All LTC's come from the factory with air suspension, that's the way they are made. They also come with a load leveling system. Air suspension is not an option. LTC's have rear airbags for springs. The airbags last for roughly 200,000 miles and when they need to be replaced occasionally they are replaced with coil springs but I think that is a rare event. If your concerned that the airbags have been replaced with coil springs all you have to do is look at the rear axle and they stand out like a sore thumb. Now, if your looking for a car with front and rear air suspension like a low rider that's a totally different issue. In that case you would have to find a car with aftermarket suspension modifications. Does this clear up your thoughts about your issue?

2packs4sure
30

I want the air suspension. I just don't have time to drive all over houston to look. I thought all came with it but wasn't sure although i'm pretty sure most of the 2011's, the last ones, didn't have it. I've looked at 3 2011's that didn't.