Rear radio antenna

mike20005
30

Asked by mike20005 Jun 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM about the Lincoln Mark VIII

The antenna on my 1995 Mark Vll stopped going up and down when I turn on or off the radio.  I can hear the antenna motor running but the antenna does not move.  What is the cause and is it an easy fix?

68,795

What happens is the end of the mast inside the motor breaks and no longer can retract and extend the antenna. It's made of plastic or nylon and looks like a zipper which rides on a gear inside the motor. You can open your trunk and remove the inner liner to expose the motor. Purchase a new power antenna mast. Disconnect the negative battery cable off the battery. Remove the mast, then the motor. Usually you can open the motor up with a couple bolts or screws and remove the broken pieces. Reinstall the motor, Relube the new mast plastic end, and attached the mast while feeding the plastic toothed end into the motor, then reconnect the battery cable, turn the ignition key so the motor pulls the mast into it, then tighten down the mast to the car.