Ignition module issues

erin4298
0

Asked by erin4298 Nov 17, 2010 at 05:14 PM about the Subaru Outback

I have a 1999 Subaru Outback with about 195,000 miles.  It's always run great except the check engine light started going on and literally 30 seconds to a minute later, the car would die.  All I had to do was restart it, the light would go off, and the car ran fine for a couple more days until it did the same thing again.  (It happens mostly when I slow down abruptly or let the RPMs get below 2500 following a downshift).  The accessory lights (like on the heater buttons) are dim and often don't even light up anymore.  The most recent issue is that I will hear faint "click" and the car will gain horsepower, then it will click again and will lose horsepower.  This tends to happen several times within a minute, and it happens without any change in my pressure on the gas pedal.  My speedometer also dies all the time and randomly bounces up to speed and back to o MPH constantly during drives.  Possibly ignition module?  I have to make an 8 hour round trip drive in a few days, so is this something that should be taken care of ASAP?  And how expensive can this replacement get?
Thank you!

Robert Giovannone Jr
235

It might actualy be your alternator. I had a friend have the same problems your dealing with and that fixed it. I would go to your local parts store, most of them have a tester.