Gas Mileage?

Meghan Glaspell
45

Asked by Meghan May 29, 2008 at 06:56 AM about the Subaru Outback

How good of gas mileage will a subaru outback get?

Jasper Rosenberg
175

I'm getting around 18 city, and much better highway (I'd guess at least 22?) I do a lot less highway driving through. This is the V4 engine. When I was doing research for shopping, what I read had it falling just a bit worse than the Rav4 or CRV.

Eve Pickman
95

I've got the 3.0L 6-cyl. and am getting about 23 mpg combined on regular. I have not run premium or even midgrade fuel since winter. I am very careful to keep my tires inflated, I took my roofrack cross bars off 'cause I don't need them, have added better (areo design) wiper blade and try to keep extra weight (junk) out of the back of the car.

creiter
0

I just put a "new" motor in my 97 subaru. It is a motor from Japan with no egr input on the block. I am curious if that affects gas mileage. I am currently getting 16 in town and 18-19 on the highway. Do these Japanese motors get worse mileage?

SaratogaPaul
75

My 2006 Outback Wagon 2.4i Limited gets between 24-25 mpg on average (city/highway). But most of the miles are highway miles.

jtablan
85

If you have a heavy foot and brake at the last minute you'll get lousy gas mileage, but if you drive like an old geezer like me, nice and easy you might get around 24 mpg in the city, I get this with hills aound where I live and time in the highway when we drove to Massachusets we average 27 mpg. I keep track on my mileage and the price of gas every time I fill up.

Mark Smolarek
45

Yea.. I have an 05 Outback 3.0R i get about 18/21 City/HW and like all car if you use the gas less alwas get beeter gass milage

Bob Bowlby
95

My '05 Outback 2.5i can get 30MPG on the highway at 65 MPH. Average is about 24 combined.

Daniel Herrera
15

I have an 2000 subaru outback sedan that has 203,000 miles and I average 24 mpg...I'm not easy on the accelerator so if you are, I would expect you to get alot better than I

Robb Woodward
35

My 2005 Outback XT (Turbo) gets average of 24-25MPG, but my wife has a non-turbo'd 2005 Legacy and gets 28-29MPG, and we're both pretty heavy on the peddle.

Anton Piskulyov
75

My Outback 2008 gets ne 20/21 mpg city and 25/26 mpg highway. I think it's a great gas milage even with AWD.

Crash33
5

I have a 2010 Outback. 4cyl cvy tranny. i get about 22 to 23 in the city driving around town and i get 27 to 28 on the highway. I only have 5000 miles on it so its still very new!

Crash33
5

i meant CVT tranny. LOL

kipster38
10

I just got a 2010 outback limited 4cyl and I love it! The gas mileage is great! For a vehicle of this size and comfort I’m not sure what else would have been available with this fuel consumption. I do have a question though; my brake pedal seems to make a clunk sound periodically when I release the brake. Has anyone else experienced this? email me at mk6816@gmail.com

kipster38
10

I just got a 2010 outback limited 4cyl and I love it! The gas mileage is great! For a vehicle of this size and comfort I’m not sure what else would have been available with this fuel consumption. I do have a question though; my brake pedal seems to make a clunk sound periodically when I release the brake. Has anyone else experienced this?

Nick Eidemiller
1,915

it's actually a Boxer or flat four not a V.

Nick Eidemiller
1,915

apparently they do or your motor is not programed right I am guessing that since you have a JDM motor it's the 2.0L in which case you should be expecting at least 20 city.

Linc Biggins
45

unlikely (on such a new vehicle) but possibly a small amount of pad movement inside the caliper, I had a similar symptom after putting in a new set of frt pads at around 135000 klms would be particularly noticeable when releasing the brake facing down a slight or bigger grade.

thecarkeeper
0

We live in Denver area and own a 2010 Outback with 4cyl CVT trans. This is our 3rd Outback. Wonderful vehicle! After 11K miles on it we average around town about 28.3 MPG. Mileage seems to get better as the engine breaks in more. Also own a '99 Legacy SUS (Sport Utility Sedan) and it gets 26/city and 30+/highway. Love our Subaru's, wouldn't own anything else!