how do I reset my check engine soon light on a 96 lumina

chris_lanagan
0

Asked by chris_lanagan Aug 08, 2010 at 09:29 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Lumina

Burton Lane
365

There is not really a means of "reset" for your service engine light. This light means that the vehicle's On Board Diagnostic system has detected a problem. This could be drive ability or emissions related. It is recommended that you take the car to a shop so they can extract the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) and repair the problem. You can clear the code and turn the light off by disconnecting the battery for ten minutes, however this does not fix ANYTHING. If there is a problem you will be covering it up, turning a blind eye, and making things much more difficult for the guy who decides to fix it right. Whatever is going on will go unnoticed for a while until it gets worse, have it checked out.