Car dies while driving, what causes this?

sydhenry
0

Asked by sydhenry Apr 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM about the 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

When I let car warm up, sometimes it will die &/or if I'm driving down the road the car will just die. Can you tell me what causes this?

68,795

Could be any number of factors. See what codes you are getting with a code reader. Dirty IAC module or throttle body can cause this. But can you start if back up again after it die's when warm? If not, then your TFI module is probably bad. Check your plug wires and plugs, all the normal tuneup stuff. Report back with more information. thanks

Best Answer
sydhenry
0

Yes, it does start back up. Sometimes it will take a minute & sometimes it will start right away. Don't have a code reader, but I will check plugs & wires, clean 'em up. Thank you for your help, I will let you know how it works out. There is another problem I have. While I let the car warm up, it can run for 10 minutes & then it will spit & spudder for about 5 minutes. I have to let the car run & do this before I drive away. Even when its warm outside, could this be my fuel filter. This is kinda odd, always got gas in one town, never had a problem. Now in another town, one station to get gas, & the car acts this way. I'm thinking of run the gas out & buy at another place, maybe it will help.

68,795

If it just happened when you got some gas. Go to any parts auto parts store or walmart and get a bottle of "Dry gas" and add that. I suspect you got water in your fuel. Also top off the tank with gasoline as well from a different station.

sydhenry
0

Thank you...I do beleive the gas thing is working. Still need to check the module & such.