Can car dealerships sell you a car with broken seat belts? Or is it illegal?

Livbabyy
10

Asked by Livbabyy Feb 19, 2013 at 05:08 PM about the 2007 Nissan Sentra

7jimmy7
12,005

why not,if its used its used, gotta check those things when looking it over.though easily overlooked,theres many things wrong with about every car on the road including some new ones

Livbabyy
10

Don't cars have to be up to safety code before a dealership sells it to you?

57,045

It all depends on the laws where you bought the car. Have you ever heard the term "Caveat emptor"? If you believe that it is illegal, notify your police department.

Livbabyy
10

Well I live in Southern California, I know that Cvc 27314b says that no dealer should sell or offer to sell vehicle, unless it it equipped with seat belts for each seating position. So if my seat belt is broken then my vehicle is not equipped for each seating position, does that make sense?? I just need advice

57,045

Go back to your dealer. Have them fix the seat belt. If they don't, report them to the DMV or who ever issues their dealer license. --- This is a international site that gets questions from around the world.

Livbabyy
10

Well the dealership I went to was OC auto exchange and they won't fix the belt till my warranty starts in 90day. But just want to know if they can sell a car that's not up to safety standards

Racer_X
14,795

I would be inclined to call a lawyer about this. You might just have a slam dunk case here and walk away with some $$. You can get a free consultation over the phone with 99% of lawyers, by the way. Good luck with your car!

voltagefuel
685

It's a requirement for passing the safety inspection in order to sell the car, and one of the things that must get checked off before you drive it off the lot. This dealer could get their inspection license revoked for doing this. You have been exposed to the possibility of death. If they are trying to avoid their responsibility and then plan on charging the warranty company, you may want to call the warranty company too and tell them what they are planning on doing. The dealership should be avoid, and I'd recommend you calling the BBB today.

Best Answer
Livbabyy
10

Voltagefuel, they told me they won't fix anything until my warranty kicks in. So your right. What is the bbb? Or do I just call the warranty company and let them know? Well they have sold me a complete lemon cause my transmission blew and sold me the car with four lugnuts missing from my tires

Racer_X
14,795

You REALLY need to" kick it up a notch" in terms of dealing with this situation. The State of California has clearly defined Lemon Laws that cover New & Used Cars (many states ONLY cover New Cars). I can't stress strongly enough that you need to contact a Lawyer as you were the VICTIM of Auto Dealer Fraud! You can and should sue the HELL out of this Dealer, especially since #1 They sold it to you in the first place and #2 They refused to fix it until your warranty kicks in. This is a VERY serious matter and something that can cause you to be injured or worse. You're in a unique situation, where you could get a very sizable out-of-court settlement...and maybe you could be driving a Porsche instead of a Nissan...LOL! Here's some insight in CA Lemon Laws, if you'd like to take a look: http://dmvanswers.com/questions/2105/What-is-the-CA-lemon- law

Livbabyy
10

Racer_x wow thank you so much, your a lot of help. I hate how car dealerships think they can take advantage of us women because they think we don't know anything. But I do want to educate myself so that this wont happen again. But yes I will sue the living shit out if this horrible dealership and get the car that I deserve and paid for. I truly thank you for your help and deeply appreciate it. I will check and see if my broken car apples to the lemon law. And I will keep all of you guys updated <3 thank you so much

voltagefuel
685

Better Business Bureau (BBB).

Livbabyy
10

Update on my car, I called the dealership and they are gonna send me the safety inspection record, then the guy said that he knows someone at the Nissan dealership that will says it under warranty and fix it, so he pretty much said that he will commit warranty fraud. So he ends up calling me back saying that he can't use the guy at the Nissan dealership. So I called the warranty company and they said I needed an computer print receipt out of an oil change that I had done. I went an got an oil change but my mechanic does written out receipt. I can't get another computer oil change because my cars transmission blew and I would have to tow it to get an oil change and it will show that the car is broken so my warranty still work. So I pretty much paid 1200$ for warranty I can't use. I've tried to contact a lemon lawyer but I haven't gotten any responses from anyone. I'm just gonna have to pay for the problems on my car cause I don't know what else to do