engine starts with no problem; but, when I put in gear and press on the gas, it immediately shuts down; the check engine light does not come on, my mechanic is very puzzled.

grmama60
10

Asked by grmama60 Nov 15, 2012 at 04:06 PM about the 2007 Hyundai Sonata

jwhalen70
390

What do u mean shuts down, is it like turning off the key shut down, or does it cough and sputter

grmama60
10

The engine just fall dead when you step on the gas; it seems to jerk before it shuts off.

jwhalen70
390

Sounds like it may be a transmission issue, put the car in neutral, start it, then while your foot is still on the break, put the car into drive. Let me know if it does the same thing

jwhalen70
390

Are u saying itshits off in reverse or u can make it to drive position and it shuts off

jwhalen70
390

Ok thought more about your problem, i think it is your transmission, i believe your torgue converter is locked up, what is happening, when u put it in gear the torgue from the engine is put into coverter, it has a series of cluthes inside that get tighter as force is applied by your transmission, however if the torgue converter is seized, then all of the motors energy is being applied to your trans, then to your axles, since your car is on the ground and not moving it kills the motor

Best Answer
grmama60
10

Mark, the mechanic thought your answer made a lot of since; we will be checking that out, thanks for your knowledge!

jwhalen70
390

Hey just a thought before u go to trouble of torgue converter, does u car have shifter lights on the dash, P N D 3 2 1. Are all the lights working as u shift it down to each location. I worked on a kia this morning. Kia and hyundai kind of the same, anyway had shifted real hard in reverse, it would learch backwards. My reverse light wasnt coming on. So i thought something electrical. I changed the electrical switch, that is attached to the transmission, the one that the shift cable is hooked to. Solved my problem, i now ur is more severe than mine was, but im thinking if ur switch has failed compleatly, it coul be causing total lock up of uur tramission clutches, just an extra thought to help u, because torgue converters are a bitch to change.. especually if u dont need to.