why does my check engine light come on when i first start my car

denebear
0

Asked by denebear Jul 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM about the 2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS

i ran my car through inspection and when they hooked the computer up my check engine light does not light up.

judge_roy

Is there any cause for concern here? Disconnect the battery cable for fifteen seconds and replace it...this should re-set the codes...perhaps the "switch" what makes it illuminate will be reset as well...else it could probably be a bad bulb if NOTHING ever makes it flash or come on--- that'd be a bummer cause someone will have to strip down the dash a bit to replace it...there are u-tube videos...none are very attractive ~

DavidH25

Probably bulb

DavidH25

Writing at same time here Judge

judge_roy

Nice to "hear" you here...David.~

judge_roy

Do bulbs burn that often...I mean really, does not have 3000 hours of use yet? perhaps it does.~ it is our least favorite concern...the Hyundai~ not one of us would like to be the Hyundai expert...I'd have to shoot myself~

judge_roy

...find it somewhat odd, my man that You're the corolla expert but NOT the Camry expert....they seem to be the same buggy with additional gooodies that will break down eventually~...sakes Toyota is AGGRESSIVE with the ads...lordy how~

DavidH25

Certainly not hours, it is 13 years old..

DavidH25

I am #4, right behind Tom

judge_roy

okay capacitors will dry out....electrons to not wear things out Tungsten will burn for decades...there is a firehouse in California that has had the same antique bulb burning for nearly a hundred years....know this is not the rule and the amount of hours IS pre-ordained by the maker...

DavidH25

112 years now

judge_roy

wow...you looked into that...the judge isn't always full of poo-pockey- what the probem is what the tungsten will simply burn up when exposed to ambient air conditions...it is for this reason they will use vacuum or pack in an inert gas like nitrogen~will allow a few ions of contamination into the manufacture...a kind of kiss of death...if you will...the fault lies in the unclean manufacture of these----should be able to back-peddle and say "look fellas, these bulbs FAILED well before their usual alotted lifetime" and caused much disassembly and anguish to the owner because he hadn't the functionality of the bulb...that may well have been critical~

judge_roy

check into the liability suite here at hotel Guru~...adjacent from the Hostility suite...which some of us spend a lot of time in~

DavidH25

It's a 4 watt bulb that went out for 7 hours last May2012 then 'miraculously' re lit it self ..turns out it was no miracle, somebody plugged it back in

DavidH25

.

judge_roy

we've all got ideas...some more enlightened than others...least we got a smiley bulb here....things cannot be so bad in the path of illumination~