how complicated is it to put a chevy 305 into a nissan 240

brianh
5

Asked by brianh Oct 24, 2007 at 07:11 PM about the 1989 Nissan 240SX

305 is out of an 89 chevy camaro

papa

is engine tunedport or just tbi i would say if it can be done you going to do a lot of cutting on front of car change rearends shock mounts drive shaft and possabaly remove gas tank for a fuiel cell in trunk or back seat i say to many unkowns to attempt,leave it like it is and buy another camaro.

dvigano
9,125

I'm not trying to be rude ... But if you have to ask how difficult is to swap an engine from a domestic vehicle to a foreign vehicle you probably shouldn't attempt it. That is, unless you're willing to part with both vehicles if it doesn't work out.

Krystin Leaver
35

I am putting a supercharged 350 in to one of mine. You need to get custom built motor mounts. You may need a different hood. Depending on how high you put the motor mounts. You WILL NEED a different differential!! It really shouldn't be that hard. For more help go to 240sx.org and look for a forum.

Larry Thibert
1,090

dude I will be rude, give your head a freakin shake...what are you doing wasting a chev engine on jap scrap...put it in a descent chev and enjoy the ride....

Ty Elliott
725

are you kidding me?... can you imagine the conversion it would take?? tranny, wiring, computer, AND it's an 89 nissan man.. either buy a new nissan with the 3.5 in it or just buy a real car and get a chev!

Greg Urasek
35

to go along with with others, it can be done...buy why a 305? you could swap in a jdm SR20DET in a weekend and have of same amount power, orcould just turbo the the KA24 and again have the same amount of power.

Jack Wells
95

its really not too much work. motor mounts, trans mount. custom made driveshaft. kaaz or nismo or whatever LSD rearend. upgraded axles. and make sure the shifter fits up into the body of the car - just cut a wider opening if its even needed. you have no pc to worry about if our going old carb 350. even a newer one with a computer isnt hard. if you know how to read, you should be able to use a wiring diagram. headlights and buttons in jap cars are still called headlights and buttons when you have an english manual. they are pretty sweet. http://youtube.com/watch?v=LhQXEz06v7s

Jesse Tang
35

You would need: Motor Transmission Custom driveshaft Custom engine and transmission mount Custom wiring for interior (guage cluster, etc) Custom lines for A/C and power steering if planned (space maybe a factor) Custom header Works Measure space needed. Transmission you choose maybe too big for the stock tunnel. Also the shifter most likely would not line up. Custom driveshaft is needed. You can get away with stock diff if power goal is not too high. Then it is the wiring. Making the engine run is not hard, but making the 240sx gauge cluster to work with another engine needs a converter box. The truth. 240sx is a FR car. So putting another FR engine is not too hard, assuming using the right parts. 4 cylinder engine is not big at all. It looks big because of the intake manifold. Many people have done LSx swap into S-chassis cars already. You can get swap kits form a couple companies that actually mass produce them.

Josh Huskey
85

why put a 305 i hate them everything on the engine gives trouble just get a 350 twice the power and it is one of the cheapest cratemoters around