Bucking Cherokee, doesn't seem to want to accelerate/stay running... air/fuel mix off?

Tiffany Lynk Trummer
70

Asked by Tiffany Feb 04, 2013 at 03:29 PM about the 1988 Jeep Cherokee

I have an 88 Cherokee, 205K inline and I have already replaces, plugs, cleaned rotor and dist cap, had to
replace fuel injector, still needing to do other 5 but the one was leaking fuel and been working on cleaning
intake valve of a bunch of crud. Buddy says just need to burn off all the excess carbon and will be fine but I am
worried because seems to get better and accelerate fine and can punch and can go up to 55+ no problem and
it's okay then all of a sudden nada and ends up bucking and sputtering and goes at most 5-10 mph if lucky.
Has a lot of blow by and can hear lifter once engine is hot, typical I was told. I am trying to restore the old gal but
having now limited funds and being this is my daily getting worried. I am a little mechanically inclined but not a
pro by any means. Just wondering if worth trying to fix or should cut losses. Has a lot of new parts already. Min
rust.
ANY AND ALL ideas and input are HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!!

judge_roy

with such high mileage, the EGR valve is sure to be buggered up. 'case you were not savvy, this device dumps exhaust into the intake on deceleration. If it's buggerd up, this car will struggle to run....where we are at now?

Tiffany Lynk Trummer
70

that could very well be, I replaced all the vacuum lines but hadn't replaced that. Is there a place that sells them cheap?

judge_roy

I could do your shopping for you. just go to any of the online suppliers. Google the part and year probably will be under 40- (1996 prices), rockauto is good. a NAPA store might be nearby, would save on shipping.

judge_roy

not even sure of your geometry, could investigate, but have to move on to more projects that are tuggin at me. Just guessing from a latent mechanics job. Perhaps things have changed. You are going to have to investigate this yourself. if you got one you could wash it with paint thinner and a wire brush and put it back in-

judge_roy

It's on the exhaust pipe near the intake-

Tiffany Lynk Trummer
70

I know where it is located and I am finding it for around $80-150 depending one store. could I remove the one I have and soak and clean it?

judge_roy

Tiffy- Coudn't hurt...I think. wonder what kind of gaskets. You may just want to just spray the pieces with brake cleaner rather than the warshtub solution. Bit concerned about the gaskets. As I can recall from my pea brain, there is a shouldered connection in, and a flange connection out. perhaps this flange gasket would not be happy with a bath?,,,,and would need replacing anyways with your replacement unit.,,,don't know, I wasn't there...I didn't do it,

judge_roy

that bugger has stuck bolts (on account of thermal cycling) going to be a problem unless you have an air-impact at your fingertips. you could try nasty old PB Pentrating cattleshit, but muscle, and perhaps a propane torch can get thru it. tough road, don't set yourself on fire. Poverty sucks!

Tiffany Lynk Trummer
70

I'm in Omaha, and I have a friend who might be willing to look at it.

Tiffany Lynk Trummer
70

I have none of those at my disposal, and yes it does suck but then I would rather be poor than rich any day. Makes one grateful for what they have and cherish the little things in life and not rely on money to make one happy. As long as basics are taken care of and have a little extra for stuff for hunting (ammo, etc) all is good in my book!

7jimmy7
11,785

sounds like a sloppy distributator shaft, or the main spark is breaking up at side mount coil shooting to ground, at those miles i would reset the timing for sure as the chain wears it to streches and throws off timing, consider cintrifical advance unit in distributator, if this model is equiped with this stuff

judge_roy

Tiffany, yours is a healing set of virtues-...still if you can make your way to some brake cleaner (the one with the little red tube) and douse the pivot points of the mechanism, could possibly free this stuck thing, and everything will be smiles and sunshine and a hired clown to make balloon animals and a harlequin juggling~

Tiffany Lynk Trummer
70

OH HELL NO, No Clowns Lmao! But I will check everything and try whatever I need to get Blue back on track. Looks like tomorrow is gonna be a lot nicer out and since I don't have a garage weather is a factor. Thank you.

judge_roy

If you thought I was cute and helpful you could boost my GURU importance number! just "mark helpful" no not the pizza guy, but a way to make me look better...even if I'm not.

Tiffany Lynk Trummer
70

I will only boost as you out it if it is actually helpful. Not cuz your cute. Isn't right to lead someone to believe not capable. But since you did give good HELPFUL advise I will once I get back to my PC. Not sure if can from y phone.

judge_roy

wow. these numbers actually mean something. inextricable! I'm lookin' over what my fellow gurus are tellin' you, and there answers would mean quitsky, not be okay for a few seconds then chokey service- Yes it's a wild-ass guess, but you'll be giving me 20 points "correct answer" this I'm pretty sure of.....sheesh playin' hard to get~