torsion bar hight adjustment bolts and block

jeffp
0

Asked by jeffp Apr 13, 2011 at 06:44 PM about the 1968 Dodge Charger

i recently tried adjusting my ride height on my 68. the fine thread adjustment bolt blew right past the threads and stripped out the retainer block. any ideas on where to find replacements?

Dan Connell
7,065

i dont know any thing about the application or the car really. but is the block the thing thats threaded? if so try and run a tap down the hole to rethread it

Peter Nichols
2,365

yea '68 was a while ago .. well what you probably have is a corroded adjusting bolt (hence no fine threads ) so it slipped through the hole clear up to the retainer . Well If you measure the bolt Dia. where the threads are good V/S where the threads are bad you could probably determine if the bolt was at fault. Same with the retainer . I allways thought you were supposed to take he preload (twist) off bar before losening anything else . I heard one time about thirty years or so ago somebodys bolt blew out da ho and went a quarter mile fore breaking a window ! Hey !!! Be carefull !!

Peter Nichols
2,365

your talkin about the suspension end of the bar I assume . Year one , specializes in quality resto parts for about everything I know for certain they have the bars, I'm gonna assume again they would have the rest of the required hard ware but if not there's always the junk yard .