Question about 2004 Volvo XC90

Greg Kurowski
15

Asked by Greg May 18, 2009 at 06:25 PM about the 2004 Volvo XC90

Hey everyone,
I'm looking to buy a 2004 Volvo XC90.  Can anyone tell me what they think of that car??? I've never owned a volvo and I would like to know if it's a good car and how's it on gas and how the maitnance is like.

Thanks

Laurent Crémieux
85

Hi Greg, Volvo XC90 is a very good SUV. I've one since a little bit more than 2 years with the T6 (2.9 liters turbo. 280HP) engine. It's my first XC90 but my fifth Volvo. I've tried many others SUV like Mercedes ML, BMW X5 and AUDI Q7, and Volvo his the one who offers the best ratio price/equipment/security. Very reliable, only the tires are expensive (in France). Consumption is important in city with this motor : around 16 L/100km (14MPG). The large trunk and the 7 true seats offers a very large scale of use. Have a lot of fun with your future Volvo. Best regards

Huttex
5

I have recently bought a 2004 xc90 and love it. Getting 29 mpg on hwy and 19+ in city. It is fwd and has the 5 cyl gas engine. I normally drive an Excursion diesel, but would highly recommend the car. Mine has 93k miles and drives like a new one. Eddy

suvphan
5

if the car is still under warranty it's very comfortable and safe. if there are more than 60k miles on it, it will get very expensive to maintain. I spend an average of $3000/year on maintenance since i bought it second had at 70k miles. now have 116k miles on it. Transmission went once, dealer replaced no charge luckily. but i've heard and experienced enough horror stories to know its better off owning the car while under warranty. otherwise dont bother.

Omar Jordan Fawahl
35

Volvos are typically incredible safe and comfortable, and will usually outlive their owners. That being said, they are expensive to maintain and suffer from small little electrical/build quality problems. Also, keep in mind that they aren't the sportiest of their competitors. Most people people fall in love with Volvo after owning one, and if you can afford to maintain one, you will love it too.

Twyla Zelmer
125

Oh, so safe. Maintenance is not cheap... but I love my XC90. Mileage isn't bad (23 mpg in the city), lots of room for the children and my big dog. I can't imagine owning anything else as a daily driver... do stay away from the T6 version of this year though... big issues with the transmission. Other than that... if you take a few for a test drive, see if you can settle for anything else. I have taken out the X3, the X5, the MDX all after I took the XC90 for a run.... none of them compared.. Mine has 173, 000 + on it and it still is a solid, reliable, and comfortable ride. Quiet and true..

fjgj99
10

Hey man. I bought an '07 V8 fully loaded one in May. LOVE it. Best car I've ever had. Previous cars - Honda, Camaro, Explorer, LIncoln Town Car. My car is a gas guzzler but that is by choice. Only thing I do not like is my nav system. I think the feeling is mutual because it keeps sending me the LONG way.

fjgj99
10

One more thing to add. The diff between the 04 and 07 is minimal (besides the years). I think the lights are different. The technology might be a little different. GET A WARRANTY though. If something goes it will be very expensive to fix.

capwheel
20

I have a 2002 c70 that I purchased for $46,000 (List price $48,000). Seems to me that if you can pay that much for a Volvo, you shouldn't be looking for nickel/dime solutions to rarely occurring problems. Expensive, luxury cars=expensive maintenance.

Franky_Gee_3
55

Great cars, just make sure and have the drive train checked out. The all-wheel drive has some issues. Volvo has its own way of doing things and a mechanic who isn't familiar with them can drive you nuts. Make sure you can find a reliable, independent Volvo mechanic. The dealers bend you over badly, and an independent who knows the cars is a real asset. Oh, and if it's a V-8, well, that wasn't their best engine. Still, if it's been well-maintained, should be a good vehicle, but let a mechanic decide that.