I need to replace the inside roof interior - is there a part number for this headliner

kdsm
0

Asked by kdsm Jan 08, 2007 at 10:31 AM about the 1999 Volkswagen Beetle

The interior roof is falling down and nothing seems to keep this adheared to the roof.

bovan
11,180

Hello kdsm-- This is an easy one, but it is question very close to my heart. You see back in the olden days in the summer after my freshman year in college a friend's uncle got me a job on the assembly line at a Chevy plant in North Tarrytown, N.Y. The job they gave me was installing headliner insulation. The way they did it back then was they gave me a pile of felt-like insulation rectangles, like a carpet pad, and a gun which shot out bright yellow glue, and a pair of gloves. The next guy down the line sewed on a nice fabric headliner. Needless to say after the second or third car there were drops of glue all over my gloves and larger chunks of felt began sticking to the glue and it quickly became like Lucy in the candy factory. Most Chevrolets sent down the line that summer had the nice headliner sewn on, but zip for insulation- even the Impalas. I quit a week later after I stood swearing at another insulationless car going by and the next car ran me over. End of story. But things have changed since then. I am told that they now use velcro in places instead of the glue and headliners are easy to install. I am sure you local VW dealer will be able to get you what you need, complete with instructions. If the first parts man you meet can't tell you how to install it, ask for another guy who can. You will have no problems. Good luck from Bovan.