engine tempt. gauge not working

Chad Bechan
15

Asked by Chad Feb 20, 2009 at 12:07 AM about the 1999 Volkswagen Jetta

i have a 99 jetta and the engine tepmt. gauge doesnt work. its not a big problem in the winter but i would like to get it fixed when it becomes hotter.. is it an expensive repair? how easy would it be to do myself?

Jeremy Trieloff
225

Not sure how to do it yourself but I don't think it would be expensive to have a mechanic fix it. When my gauge broke on my 00' Jetta, I managed to crack a water hose while driving it and didn't notice it (it was 0 degrees temp outside and there was a lot of steam coming from all running exhaust pipes that night). I drove it too long without noticing the over heat and ended up blowing a head gasket. I'm sure something like that is your fear. When the mechanic repaired it, the temp gauge worked. The mechanics weren't even aware of it because I forgot to mention it. That said, I believe that the gauge repair shouldn't be too bad. It's probably electrical which wouldn't be surprise with a Jetta.