what causes the v-12 to cut out during acceleration ?

xjsrouge
25

Asked by xjsrouge Sep 24, 2007 at 04:10 PM about the 1990 Jaguar XJ-Series

my car has 60000 miles on it. It will run ok if I drive it like there is an egg under the throttle but cuts out and runs rough when under acceleration.

joecorvair
1,365

Ever change the fuel filter? How's the air filter?

crazzy450r
495

tps!!!!!!!! throttle position sencer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! possibly bad map sencer too if so equiped , map manafold absolute pressure sencer sorry never was good at spelling

18TandSVT
3,515

It could be one of those SENSORS. Or it might be a bad fuel pump. I'm sort of having that problem on my SVT.

xjsrouge
25

I have changed the fuel filter and the air filters are ok but will need to be replaced in the future.

David Sinnott
45

I got a crankshaft sensor and coil for my XJ Sovereign when it kept cutting out, seems fine now. Good luck.

Jeff Swick
25

could be several things...bad gas, sensor, idle control, throttle body.... Get a high grade cleaner like Seafoam and run it for 100 miles.. Sometimes the throttle position and/or idel control gets stuck. you may have to take the breather off and clean and lube the throttle/idle units