value of a 1980 Honda hatchback

aharris
0

Asked by aharris Jul 15, 2011 at 07:05 PM about the 1980 Honda Accord

I have a chance to purchase a 1980 Honda hatchback with 52,000 miles on it for $4000. It is in pristine shape, is the price right?

Ben Vincent
275

Wow, that's an awesome chance - original cars are great, when you can find them. As they say - they are only original ONCE! This is not a 'collectable' car in any real sense, but they are great cars for those who love Hondas. It would actually be a shame if you plan to buy this car and drive it daily - this kind of original-ness needs to be stored away and maintained in a garage, and taken out a couple times a month for fun. When you are dealing with cars of this age, there is no real reference point by which to gauge the price. It sounds high to me, but if it has been kept from rotting out (ie, engine seals, gaskets, hoses, etc.) then you might want to fork over the money just to have such a hard to find example of Japanese engineering. If, however, it looks good, but has been sitting a long time, it will need THOUSANDS of dollars in work, so be prepared. It depends on how much you love a car and to what lengths you are willing to go when it comes to cars like this. If I, personally, had a chance to buy a car like this, I would offer $2K and bargain from there. Then keep it stashed away, only to be seen cruising with the right crowd and at tuner car shows!

hatcher1914
0

i have one lets share pictures and prices. call are text me 925-783-8145 i am in northern ca.