Block Heater

OleYeller
0

Asked by OleYeller Aug 02, 2012 at 06:11 PM about the 1986 Ford F-250

The heater block cord was bad and I thought caused the circuit breaker to pop.  Replaced the cord but still popped the breaker.  How hard is it to replace the heating element?  It is above the starter in what looks like a freeze plug.  Cold starter!  

dynasg2009
1,125

You are correct on the location and the heater should un-screw from the block. After you buy the replacement heater you will see how to install it with a new cord if needed.

DavidH25

Are you plugging it in to an outlet in you garage with a GFI? Is that what you mean by popping the breaker that you can re-set at the outlet by pushing the black button on the outlet? OR..is it a regular circuit breaker in the panel that pops from too much amperage draw? If you are popping the GFI that is a completely different problem than over-drawing amps. There may be a ground fault in the cord or heat element. That is what happened to me when I was in Wyoming and it got to 20 below....no block heat=no start and the fault was a GFI., not amp overdraw