my back window will not operate where is the fuse or relay that operates the back window

mooner
0

Asked by mooner May 18, 2007 at 02:16 AM about the 1986 Toyota 4Runner

23,825

Owners manual will tell you where the fuse for each component is. I am assuming it's one of the fuses that is under the dash, to the lower left. It should be fairly obvious which one needs to be replaced.

azurro
380

For all u that have a rear window issue not rolling down, take your rear window wiper blade and push up to the docking position. Then try the window. The wiper is electrically inline with the window relay. If it is not all the way up (sagging) then your window will not roll down. Hope this helps. Also, the relay board that operate rear window defog, and up/down is located drivers side behind the front seat behind the plastic trim.

papa

who is this

turborunner
40

Next to the fuse box there are two circute breakers,in the center of the two breakers is a small hole take a tooth pick and push into the hole to reset the breaker,if I beleive the rear window breaker is nearest to the fuse box?? this should do the trick.

hllywd6
150

I know this is an old thread, but it really helped me. I couldn't get my rear window down, and saw the part about the rear wiper. I pushed on it, nothing. Then I remembered that i had accidentally hit the rear wiper switch trying to clean my front windshield but caught it immediately, so i hit the switch again, let it do the full revolution on the back and viola! The window worked perfectly again! Thank you everybody!

caeley
80

re turning my rear window wiper to "docking spot" solved my non-working rear window problems. THANK YOU !!! simple simple simple. (I hand moved it back into place)

pollyid
10

also check for problems behind the drivers side in the little side box....lift it out and under there is a relay switch... hard to explain....but can email me at englandsawmills@yahoo.com for more explanation

04softail
80

I have a 2013 Toyota 4Runner SR5, I too discovered that my rear window wiper and washer would not operate. Then I discovered that the switch on the dash for the defogger would not operate. As I read above posts, I also discovered that the power window would not operate from the consule switch. I had a mess. Went to dealer, service or parts counter guys did not have a clue. There is no fuse or circuit labeled for the tail gate components. Here's what I did: 1. Checked to make sure wiper was properly docked. 2. With all doors unlocked I opened and closed rear tail gate. 3. Activated the rear window with key, lthen with switch on, checked rear wiper. It now functioned. 4. Then checked washer, it functioned. 5. Checked the power rear window with console switch. Did not function. 6. Set the "all windows locked" on the drivers door to lock and then to unlock position. 7. Checked power rear window in tail gate with console switch. It functioned. I now have a fully functioning tail gate. Seems like you have to go through all of the functions that usually work with a switch and reset them manually.

04softail
80

Also had a 97 4runner. Passenger power window was half way down and would not function. Went to mechanic. He hit power window lock....window functioned.

imjustamom
0

Tried the rear window wiper solution. Turned on rear wiper then turned it off so wiper would re-dock itself. window worked immediately. Thank you so much for the tip

yotalife247
10

i have a question yall said push up to docking position u mean put it back where it originally starts before u turn the rear wiper on ??? sorry i know its a dumb question

Steven Lueck
20

1995 4Runner - found out the hard way that the grease inside the wiper motor in the area with the control surfaces will melt and gradually accumulate in the lower part of the unit. Eventually the grease will cause the contact to lift and window won't go down even when moving the wiper to the docking spot. I eventually took it apart and discovered this. Cleaned out old grease, put in a little new grease and it all works like it should. Of course, I tore out the relay box on the rear driver side to test it; took apart the rear door to get access to window motor and mechanical parts all before finding the real reason.

You think this is helpful.
4runner_life
40

I have a 97 4runner and I'm having problems with my back window it use to go down its self an I would come out in the morning an it would be down now I have a problem that when I start my car it goes down please help..

Lurch65
0

I can certainly relate to your problem, 4runner life, as I also have that problem. Unfortunately I have no answer for you. Anybody care to solve this one? Mark, you've been very helpful. Thanks!

bean412
0

Thanks everyone I moved the rear wiper back to it's docking position, and what you know, window now works also the rear defroster wasn't working. Now everything works now almost took it in

Jitudds
0

I have 2015 4runner I can't find anywhere on the driver side any switch or button to release or open the trunk door can please tell if there is one and if yes where it is located?

Jill Wurm
0

Anyone Anyone.... I have a 2002 - 4Runner. Up to a week ago, my back window worked fine, I use it all the time because of my dog. Now my window nor the wiper is working. I have tried the suggestions, however unlike the others, it is not working for me. The dealer couldn't talk to me over the phone (because they want money) - I don't want to give money to the dealer. Desperately seeking help!!