235 motor to 283

lilrobo
0

Asked by lilrobo Jul 14, 2012 at 08:34 PM about the 1958 Chevrolet Biscayne

I have 1958 biscayne with a 235  with a cast iron power glide with cooling lines,i want to change it to a 283 from
about the same year, everyone tells me i can't cause i have the wrong tranny ,but i have read  that the tranny with  
cooling lines are the v8 tranny's   i dont think they made that many different  tranny's , i know they changed it 62 and
went to the alum power glide , and the are different , but i dont about mine ,, can some help add light to this  please

Thansk

Lars Cats
2,405

More likely than not the transmission housing holes won't line up with the ones on the engine. Get yourself an engine with the transmission on it, it's a lot less of a hassle than trying to find a tranny after you've discovered that your current one won't fit.

Norman Smith
55

If your keeping the transmission that was originally in the car, you can change up to the 283 engine with no problems. It's not that hard to make new lines with a different transmission anyways.

lilrobo
0

i was told that i need a adapt ring that will go from the tranny to motor ,, the pipes are no trouble and lines shouldn't be either?? what else is involved

Norman Smith
55

What is the adapter ring for? ALmost all the older Chevrolet engines have the same bolt pattern for the transmission. Changin from a 6 cylinder to a v-8 would also require differnet engine mounts. The older cars are very easy to work on. It's the new stuff I hate.

Lars Cats
2,405

Unless I am very much mistaken the transmission housing has a different bolt pattern, hence the adapter ring. And yes, you probably need to relocate the engine mounts to suit the engine, but that's no real biggie.

lilrobo
0

yeah i dont know were to just rebuild mine to add a 283