Replace 2 instrument panel dead lights

jrmosby
35

Asked by jrmosby Jan 31, 2011 at 11:42 PM about the 1996 Toyota Tercel

Any good instructions or link on how to replace two dash lights that are out
(Temperature went out 4 weeks ago, & speedometer this week)?  96 Tercel  Expect
to replace them all while I have the instrument panel out.  Thx

jrmosby
35

I had to take out the kick panel and two heater vent hoses to access the speedo cable connection behind the instrument panel (required pinching action by two fingers to get the cable to release from directly behind the instrument panel - it was not an electronic connection as some thought). I could touch the cable release mechanism with one finger, but the second hose blocked full access. Once the second hose was removed, it was easy (well, in a convoluted, arm twisting way being upside down in the driver's seat at night in 10 degree temperatures with cold fingers) to reach the back of the panel and release the speedo cable and then pull out the instrument panel. Replacing the lights was the easiest part (did all of them while I had the panel out). Thanks to all who made suggestions.