My 99 suburban Ecm-1 fuse keep blowing

mickgrif
0

Asked by mickgrif May 18, 2010 at 09:11 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500

Danny Wang
3,295

you may have a possible short on the wire supplying power to the ECM or any actuators and/or its circuit that is short and feeds on power through the ECM-1 fuse. When does the fuse blow? for instance when you initially turn the ignition switch to on, or during cranking or while the engine has already starting and running.

edullman
110

i have a 97 suburban that on vacation i blew 2 ecm fuses(while driving) and when i reached destination i hit a speed bump and everything went out, not the fuse, would not restart after that....the camshaft position sensor and the pickup coil have been replaced but still not starting

97Z714x4
140

having the same problem it happens when I turn the ingnition on, no starting needed

cab3143
310

I am having the same problem with my 99 gmc suburban. As soon i turn the ignition switch the fuse blows. I dont even have time to try to crank my sub. just have to turn it enough to on and the fuse blows every time. Any suggestions?

Jamie Groeneweg
580

mmmmmm try checking all grounds are tight and clean. Try auto zone or a haynes manual and see if there is any info on injector resistance, and coil/ dist resistances etc.. some sesnor is probalby drawing way to much! Also check the wireing for shorts especially where is passes through tight spaces and were it is close to moving parts or exhaust. I wouls suspect that it may have blown your computer? Good luck

jco
175

ecm power wires on passenger side of engine ground out to the exhaust, pull awasy, and check for damage, my 97 kept popping fuses, and this fixed it

Bumpy9988
330

I have a 2002 tahoe. Blew the ecm1 fuse. I replaced it it started right up. Untill I put it in drive then it blew the fuse again. It did this about 5 times. Then it started blowing the fuse as soon as I turned on the key. I tried about 20 fuses it kept doing it. So I left it for the night went back in the morning and put a fuse in it started right up and has been good for two days. I am planing a long trip and don't trust it. Any ideas where to start. To find what the problem might have been. Thanks

dmcvay3387
40

i understand this is old however so is my tahoe. i had this happen to me yesterday on the freeway. my wires fell off below my alternator and were cooked on my exhaust manifold. i just hope this helps some one some day.

Sean Salas
10

Was going 80 down the freeway when truck just turns off... Finally after a day of searching and replacing, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and ECM. I found where wires were glued to exhaust manifold just below the alternator. Only one wire looks cooked... Replaced fuse and did NOT blow for the first time after 5 fuses. Now that this seems to be fixed, why won't the truck start? The fuel pump still won't start. Wft?

dmcvay3387
40

cut the cooked wire and replace the section of it thats cooked. inside the conduit there's 5 or 6 wires. mine were actually melted together and grounding each other out. just because it looks like only 1 of the wires is damaged take the time to check them all out and replace what needs replacing. chances are its not shorting out any longer but one of the wires is completely cooked (they're all color coded super easy)