what size tires should be on a stock 89 ford bronco 2

stubby3161
0

Asked by stubby3161 Feb 13, 2010 at 12:53 AM about the 1989 Ford Bronco II

dcable
20

i can run 31x10.50r15 with little problem the only thing is the tires hit the bottom of the wheel well going over rocks and things

Colin Rivet
2,665

i had an 84 bronco 2 with 30x9 in. tires.the did not hit or rub when off roading.its your max on a stock suspention.

Charles Sifers
495

It all depends on what you want from your tire, and what you do with your truck. Stock size is 205/75 15. The biggest tire that will fit stock suspension with no mods or rubbing is 235/75 15. Bigger is not always better, and depending on gears and intended use, another size may be a better choice. Please give some more information on gear size, intended use, and you can get better answers.

Colin Rivet
2,665

the stock tire size on my 84 bII was 205/75/15,it worked great with that tire size,i went with a bigger tire because i needed more clearence,the roads where i hunt are bad.its not worth the extra cost of a bigger tire if u dont need it,plus its harder on the truck considering it was geared for 205.

huntermudd
30

i own a bronco two and i need new tires, right now it has 215s on it on a 15 inch rim. and im geting p235 15s all terrain or mudding tires. i have 2.9 rebuilt with about 200 hp out of it with modifications and a 5 speed original transmision with 3.73 in the back. i just want to have a lil bit bigger tire to help me hunt and get out to the land better. i rarely have to use 4 wheel drive to get out there but the tires will help. just want a good answer to what it will do to the truck. let alone its hiting 67 in 2nd gear and my transmision is getn shaky now form the hp increase and its getn sticky in 1st and 2nd but that could be just needs transmision fluid

Charles Sifers
495

235/70-15 tires, by themselves will not put any significant stress on the truck, especially with 3.73 gears. I have over 320,000 miles on mine, and even though I swapped out the original differentials about 100,000 miles ago, I've never had issues with bearings, brakes, or anything else that is related to bigger tires. In fact, the original pieces are still in use in another vehicle. On the other hand, a significantly heavier tire can cause wear problems, regardless of tire size.

huntermudd
30

thank u. so i just found out that flowmaster 40 on a 2.9. it literaly sounds like a lil small block v8 but if anybody want to get a legit exhuast the flowmaster 40. ive got mine out in front of my rear tire. i am getn a mile or two to the gallon better with it and the k&n. one problem im having is my light keeps coming on saying i have water in fuel. but the engine runs fine and i get my gas from quick trip 90% of the time then after that light comes on it says eemis or something like that its hard to see bc it doesnt light up well. but should i be concerned. i am on a half tank and i filled up 2 days ago. should i just run the tank down to e and refill or just keep doing what im doing and hope the water in fuel gets out.

Charles Sifers
495

I'd run a bottle of HEET or similar product through what's left of the tank. It's alcohol, and will bind to the water and take it out of the tank. In fact, if you haven't changed the fuel filter, you might want to run some fuel system cleaner through it soon after, and be prepared with a new filter.

papa

seemes the dummies are out of their cage with that last post,now to your question,just go to any tire shop,they will know the correct size for your vehicle.

Charles Sifers
495

Once more the troll rears it's ugly head. The above poster makes a habit of disrupting threads and giving bad advice. He has proven to have no real knowledge of automobiles, and seems to thrive on causing problems.

Christopher Paden
3,265

195/75-15 Was the stock size but they are rare. 205/70-15 will be the closest match, 205-75-15 will work as well but will put you about an inch taller and make you speedometer read a little over 1mph to slow.

Charles Sifers
495

Not quite sure where you get your information Chris, but while a few BII's came with 195/70-15's, the most common stock tire size was 205/70-15, just as I posted. On the other hand, this in no way suggests that this is the optimum tire size for this vehicle, depending on use and gears. It's a no brainer that changing to a non-stock size will affect speedometer readings. I've been driving these vehicles for more than 20 years, and have a collection of the original owner's manuals to back up what I post, along with the door sticker on my '89, which shows stock tire size @ 205/70-15.

Christopher Paden
3,265

I must have had the rare one then. No need to prove yourself... you getting defensive as usual.

Charles Sifers
495

Not defensive, just stating the facts. I thought that was what this forum was about. If people are asking for information, shouldn't they get the facts?

Charles Sifers
495

Once again, the nameless troll rears its ugly head. Since you have nothing to contribute, do you enjoy wasting space?

huntermudd
30

hmm theres alot of hostility and idk im not one to talk shit or try to put others down over the safety of the internet but lets keep it strictly car related. my 2.9 with 5 speed is averaging 19 as i noticed today. i ran my truck out of gas to see the exact miles to the gallon after a full tank. so if anyone wants gas on mpg on a 88 bronco 2. the 2.9 v6 is rated at 16 town 20 hwy. my truck has inside work like lighter pistons and camshaft. basicaly all new parts inside and they guessed 200 hp tops. i just do know a 4.0 ranger couldnt keep up with me and there hp is 207 and a 5 speed as well. i know weight comes into play but this extra hp increase has helped my mpg by at least 2 or 3. im not sure but 5 gallons of gas got my truck 115 miles on the highway doing 65. thats 23 mpg on a bronco 22 years old. but anyways tire size that will fit without rubbing is p235 75 15s from what discount tire told me as biggest tire for it

huntermudd
30

well i got my new p235 75r 15 bf goodrich tires for my bronco today and my new fuel pump. kinda sucked tho bc the fuel pump had alot of pressure and blew my fuel line off bc it was an old line. so i lost a quater tank of gas in about 2 minuets. until i noticed i was loosing all power with no gas being pumped anymore into my engine. so tomorrow im getting my new line and get it back up adn started. i love my bronco but why does it have to be such a pain in the ass sometimes ha ha.

cspivey
10

will this affect the speed.i have 31 on their.i have a 95 bronco.

4x4girl89
5

yeah it mite bc the speedometer will tell u goin a certain speed and it could be wrong and u actually goin faster my dads ford f-150 is like that... i would love to get 31s on my bronco II

vasparky27
10

got 225/70/15 on the front right rear is 225/75/15 left rear is 205/75/15 spare is 225/70/15 whats wrong with this picture?

B2traveler
10

The stock Bronco II tires may not be the safest. There was a big engineering "discussion" between Ford and Firestone regarding tire construction and rollover crashes (viewable on the 'net). Bottom line is, the Bronco II has a faulty design with a higher center of gravity and instability in turns or corrective maneuvers, resulting in the vehicle flipping over. Ford tried to get around this by telling consumers to inflate their tires to only 28 lbs. This stressed the sidewalls and caused blowouts. Firestone, of course, said that the tires were not designed for such low pressure, and they were fine. Personally, I wanted the widest, lowest tire I could fit on my 15 inch rims for the best stability and after much research I chose the 225 70r15 in the Michelin LTX MS (now MS2). However, as of 2015, Michelin no longer makes this tire in the 225 70 15 so I am back to square one to find a suitable tire. I considered going to 16 inch rims but there is not much choice there either. Load ratings are also a consideration. The Mich has an XL load rating; the others so far have SL. I tried the 235 75r15 Mich just to try it but I didn't really think it would be good for this truck. I was right -- the front end felt like it wanted to fly at the least sudden move. I do have a lot of stuff in the back (important stuff!) but still, the 225 70s were a lot more stable. I travel all over the country and offroad also, so I can vouch for the safety of those particular tires in that particular size. They saved my butt more than once. Please do your research and don't let anyone talk you into something that may be dangerous in the long run. It's your life, your truck, and your money.