i am looking a buying a 1999 subaru legacy, what are some common problems with that make, model and year?

Nperron
0

Asked by Nperron Jun 24, 2013 at 05:29 PM about the 1999 Subaru Legacy

DavidH25

These are not my words, excerpts from owners reviews...I have nothing against Subaru, just showing what folks wrote at: http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/legacy/1999/#...... Aging interior design. Too much glossy plastic inside.>> if it's a 2.5 and yours hasn't blown a head gasket... it will.>> Owning my 1999 Subaru SUS has been a nightmare.>> This car has a nice design but is very unreliable>> This was my very first car, and for my first car I am very pleased with it. All wheel drive is awesome to have in virtually any road conditions>> 1st Subaru. Worst (supposed to be the nicest) car I've ever had. Got it used from a dealer w/80,000 miles. Only put on 30,000 in 6 yrs, but its required thousands $$$ in repairs.>> We have had this vehicle in the shop more than any other vehicle we have ever driven>>

Elijah Hunsaker
85

The biggest thing with Subarus is staying on top of the regular maintenance. Is the previous owners took good care of the vehicle then there should be few problems with it; however, if the previous owner neglected it then it will come back to haunt you. Overall Subarus are some of the best vehicles out there so I say look at it carefully and have it looked at by an independent garage.

Michael Tutty
5,305

Head gaskets seem to be a real problem with them. Oil changes MUST be performed on schedule, as must the cooling system service and timing belts. Also, check for rust. It is disgusting, to me, that a car built specifically for winters is so poorly protected against rust! Too many here, and much newer than the one you are looking at, are in holes already.