Wont start when cold outside

ron2_1
0

Asked by ron2_1 Sep 02, 2009 at 09:29 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am

I have a 2003 Grand Am with the 2.2 L. When it is cold outside the car will not start. After warming up in the sun the car starts right up and runs fine. Any idea what would be causing this

Mike Amico
245

does it start and then stall? you could go to a local auto parts store and have them test the battery for free takes about 10 minutes

ron2_1
0

not the battery im sure of that and the battery ls less than a year old

Mike Amico
245

ok sounds like something wrong with the computer system when your car first starts up the engine enters a closed loop system it guesses how much fuel to give the engine until the sensors warmup and it gives out the exact amount but i have no clue on the problem

john_bruce1953
0

2 cans of gas line anti freeze may have water in system

andersonT35
0

I have the same problem with same year grand am. We replaced the com and it still will not start when its cold out. Any ideas?

SSCopeck
0

I have a 2003 Grand Am - 2.2 L and when it gets to negative double digits, it won't start. The first time, I had it towed to a garage. The mechanic said once it warmed up, it started fine. Today is the third time this has happened. I know it's not the batter because I bought a new one, just in case. A retired mechanic told me he believes a sensor could be going bad and when it's extremely cold, just won't start and told me about this closed loop thing. I believe he suggested having the crank or cam sensor checked, but I can just see it now - a female enters a shop and says she thinks the crank or cam sensor is bad, they won't listen to me. Guys at work still tell me it's the battery.