Mazda tribute v6 auto

Leeplant78
20

Asked by Leeplant78 Sep 26, 2013 at 09:16 PM about the 2001 Mazda Tribute

Hi, I'm driving my mazda v6 auto with the overdrive on. When it changes into overdrive it
some times judders when changing.  Otherwise it drives great.  Just wondering when this
could be?  Any ideas.

68,705

Overdrive band is burnt or the torque convertor is start to fail. But try this first to see if it helps. When was the last time you changed the fluid? If not for a while, there is a drain plug under the trans, a regular 3/4" socket wrench fits into it. OpPen it up and around 4qts of fluid will come out. Put the plug back and fill using Mercon/Dex III through the transmission dipstick tube with a funnel. Add back the amount of fluid drained. or until the level is in the hatch marks on the dipstick. Level surface, in park, warmed up. Repeat this another time after driving around some. If it's still there, you will have to have someone diagnose the trans. The CD4E isn't one of the best transmission out there, they need regular fluid changes. I've change mine every 15K since new.

Leeplant78
20

I'm not a car mechanic so I would need to take this to a garage to change. Would it help if I turned off the over drive on the gear stick so it doesn't change into over drive? Or will this just prolong the problem?

Leeplant78
20

Also are you able to change the overdrive band?

68,705

You can hit the button on the shifter locking it out, and yes it will help from hunting in and out of O/D while traveling through town. This is what I do.

68,705

See my other answer on your latest post about the band.