'95 taurus 3.0 liter

WHP
0

Asked by WHP Mar 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM about the 1995 Ford Taurus

Ordinarily starts easily and runs well, which it was doing until suddenly coming uphill nearing home it began to operate roughly, cutting out momentarily and operating as if running out of fuel (but tank nearly full).l  Within a moment or two I made it into my drivewway where it completely stalled and cannot be restarted.  I've performed some checks.;  The plugs are firing properly.  It is obviously getting no gas to the engine.  The fuel pump "whirls" when ignition turned to "start".  What accounts for sudden complete shutdown like this, and what approach do I use to determine the cause?

burgrat
65

start with the fuel filter....that would be the cheapest and simlpest.

45,605

The fuel filter is a start but they don't suddenly fail. The pump could have lost it impeller. Check the pressure on the fuel rail and go from there. A new filter will not hurt so give it a shot.