What would cause my oil pressure to go up and down?

Nicolas Lovell
25

Asked by Nicolas Oct 13, 2011 at 12:56 AM about the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

When im stopped the pressure is low but when i driving the pressure is normal or just below normal. I have a 95 JGC with the 4.0 I6.

Matt Mankinen
1,445

It's normal for your oil pressure to be lower when stopped. Check your car specs for values. But typically the range would be 40-60. Also oil pressure sensor wear out with time, so either test it's volt or resistance values or install a new one.

Matt Mankinen
1,445

Sorry about that I was thinking of the V8. The I6 (on further review) should be at stop/curb idle: 13 psi minimum @1600 rpm & above: 37-75 psi. Higher or lower you would want to check your oil and coolant level. Being low on coolant (once engine warmed) will effect oil pressure. Form what I understand 89-90 I6 Cherokees at oil pump problems at 140-150k miles. Though you have a Grand so it wouldn't apply.

Nicolas Lovell
25

It does have almost 300k miles on it. Could the oil pump be going bad? It started doing it alittle over a month ago.

Matt Mankinen
1,445

Yes with that many miles, I would definitely replace the oil pump. Because if that goes out you'll have a seized engine in no time. If you want to take it a step further, replace your con-rod bearings and piston rings or just run a thicker rated oil.

Biggy Process
30

when i keep on the gas the oil pressure stays on 30 but when i come to a complete stop it drops to the 2nd white mark by the red line it stays there intell i get going again how do i stop that from happening

thejeepdoctor
1,865

are you using 10w30 oil? This is what ALL 4.0 engines should use.