My new Honda CRV 2013 has an intermittent hissing sound that comes from the AC. It has had this problem since day 1, but Honda refuses to do anything about it because they say that the car is functioning normally. The hiss is intermittent, occurring about once every 15 to 30 seconds, possibly whenever the compressor comes on. It can be quiet some times and louder at others, but I can clearly hear it even if I have the radio is on. I tried other new CRVs at the dealership and I didn't hear this noise. Any thoughts?

Honda_CRV_2013
0

Asked by Honda_CRV_2013 Jun 30, 2013 at 07:00 AM about the 2013 Honda CR-V

68,205

If the dealers won't help you, maybe it's time to find a competent AC shop in your area for them to look it over. Some Dealers just like replacing parts and not diagnosing problems. Usually when you have this hissing, the thermal expansion valve is opening and closing because of an imbalance in the system. The hiss is caused by the expanding gases in the system making noise because the system is unbalanced and under-pressurized. Have them check the refrigerent level, I suspect it is low. Best case senario, you get it fixed and have Honda reimburse you.

Honda_CRV_2013
0

Thank you for the answer. My Honda dealership put the AC system under a vacuum for a couple of hours on two different occasions (based on advice that they received from Honda America technicians), but that didn't change anything. Would they have adjusted the refrigerant during this procedure?