It won't start after heating up from sitting in the sun. Why?

simpleredvigor
0

Asked by simpleredvigor Aug 11, 2007 at 10:31 PM about the 1991 Honda Civic

If the car heats up from sitting in the sun for too long it won't start right away. I have to cycle the ignition from 5-10 minutes until the injectors pump more fuel into the chambers upon which enough pressure plus fuel will allow it to start.

I've seen it happen to a 2004 Honda Accord EX while at the gas station...why does this occur?

dvigano
8,185

Hi simpleredvigor, Your problem could be something as simple as needing a new gas cap. It sounds like you definitely have a fuel pressure issue of some kind. Try a fuel pressure tester to find out what pressure your system is at when it's been sitting in the sun and then again when it finally starts. I bet there's quite a difference between the two. Good luck!

Artur Stepanov
25

i had a similar problem in my 92 hatchback, it turned out to be the fuel pump relay.

Dan Potter
10

Intake Air Temperature. Had this sensor been moved perhaps is an air intake mod was done? if it heats up, like sitting in a gas station and its getting heat from the radiator. When you go to start the car it thinks the air is hot, not putting in the right amount of fuel and giving you problems starting.