car will crank but will not start

lecola
60

Asked by lecola Oct 10, 2012 at 02:42 PM about the 1998 Honda Accord

I have a 98 honda accord it willc rank but not start I had someone check the spark pkugs they are fine but when you try and start the car the fuel pump do not come on and  do not smell gas I was driving it saturday and it started fine and when got back in to start it up it started put it in drive and gave it gas it sputtered and cut off

TupeloMS
650

check fuel pressure

lecola
60

ok how do you check that?

TupeloMS
650

look for the fuel rail there should be a place to put injector cleaner in it looks like a tire valve.

DavidH25

The 'fuel rail' TupeloMS is referring to is the fuel manifold on the fuel injection system, and I agree with him, it looks very much like a tire valve, you hook a tester up to that to check to see if you are getting proper fuel pressure to the injectors. But injector cleaner just goes in with a tank of gas, however good quality gasoline used regularly will cause you to never need an after-market fix-it-in-a-can crap.

TupeloMS
650

if you push the valve in, with the key on, gas should spit out although you wont know how much pressure it has but if you have no pressure it is probably a filter or fuel pump. I had a car that had some pressure but would not crank. I also found that the computer was not giving the fuel pump enough voltage.

lecola
60

thank you David and TupeloMS I will get that checked hope thats what the problem is

Trebor66
815

Your cars OBD 2 system will throw a code for clogged fuel filter. It does this by monitoring the time duration that is required to maintain proper fuel mixture.If this time becomes too long it throws a code .Due to restricted fuel flow threw the "clogged filter"

Latoya Davidson
20

When I go to start my car, it WILL NOT start, but it will crank, BUT NOT FULLY to were it has started. And, the battery is not the issue AND the starter is not the issue. what could the issue be????? I HAVE A '98 Honda Civic.

Justin Powell
10

Fuel pump or filter