check engine light on 2009 accent. Codes show #1 and #3 cylinder misfire. Any input?

bearlymoving
0

Asked by bearlymoving Jun 08, 2013 at 11:01 PM about the 2009 Hyundai Accent

Car has not had any issues until now.  Driving car after filing gas tank.  Car started sputtering very bad.  Check engine light came on.  Checked oil and was less than a quart low.  coolant level fine.  Had code checked and showed #1 and #3 cylinder misfire.  Replaced all spark plugs.  No change.  Limped car home.  Have no repair manual yet.  Just ordered.  Not sure how to check resistance in coil packs.  Maybe have jumped tooth in timing belt?

13,115

If cylinders 1 & 3 fire from the same coil pack, replace the coil pack. My guess is that it's failing. If that solves the problem replace the other coil pack(s) as they will most likely fail soon. If this does not solve the problem run a compression test. If this is a V6 engine cylinders 1 and 3 will be next to each other. If this is the case and cylinders 1 and 3 test low on the compression test I'd suspect a blown head gasket. Pull the oil dipstick. Is there white milky "goop" on it? If so, it's probably a head gasket. HTH. -Jim

14,185

You stated that it all started after a fill up, could be bad fuel, I would dump a can of 104 octane booster in it and see what happens. If it clears it it up then the next tank run some good injector cleaner through it, or have the injectors cleaned professionally, after that is done then replace the fuel filter. If it doesn't clear up then do what Js stated.