check engine light on 2009 accent. Codes show #1 and #3 cylinder misfire. Any input?

bearlymoving
0

Asked by bearlymoving Jun 08, 2013 at 11:01 PM about the 2009 Hyundai Accent

Car has not had any issues until now.  Driving car after filing gas tank.  Car started sputtering very bad.  Check engine light came on.  Checked oil and was less than a quart low.  coolant level fine.  Had code checked and showed #1 and #3 cylinder misfire.  Replaced all spark plugs.  No change.  Limped car home.  Have no repair manual yet.  Just ordered.  Not sure how to check resistance in coil packs.  Maybe have jumped tooth in timing belt?

22,615

If cylinders 1 & 3 fire from the same coil pack, replace the coil pack. My guess is that it's failing. If that solves the problem replace the other coil pack(s) as they will most likely fail soon. If this does not solve the problem run a compression test. If this is a V6 engine cylinders 1 and 3 will be next to each other. If this is the case and cylinders 1 and 3 test low on the compression test I'd suspect a blown head gasket. Pull the oil dipstick. Is there white milky "goop" on it? If so, it's probably a head gasket. HTH. -Jim

28,405

You stated that it all started after a fill up, could be bad fuel, I would dump a can of 104 octane booster in it and see what happens. If it clears it it up then the next tank run some good injector cleaner through it, or have the injectors cleaned professionally, after that is done then replace the fuel filter. If it doesn't clear up then do what Js stated.

unclebry
0

I have had the same issue twice. I am wondering now if its a wiring issue. But each time I have changed the coils and plugs, the issue goes away but after the first time it was only about 8,000 miles and they went out again. So as I said its gotta be an electrical issue. This is happening to a lot of cars not just ours.

D16
0

I have the same issue with my 2007 Hyundai Accent. Cylinders 1 & 3 misfire. Car barely running. Each cylinder has it's own coil on coil on my engine but looks as if others are talking of two cylinders sharing a coil with rectifiers (coil pack). Would be nice if someone could shed light on this as it appears to be common with these cars.

22,615

D16, since cylinders 1 & 3 are, I believe, next to each other my first suspect is a blown head gasket. If the head gasket blows between the two cylinders you will not see oil contamination or clouds of water condensation out the tailpipe. Both cylinders will, however, lose compression and won't fire. Compression test those two cylinders and if both test low you've got a blown head gasket. HTH -Jim

D16
0

The cylinder order is 1-2-3-4 from passenger side to driver side. My power has decreased steadily until tonight I barely made it home. It will not even rev to 3000rpm out of gear now. I bought four new plugs and four new ignition coils which should be here Wednesday. It would be nice if that fixed it.