car-clutch

mccalls
0

Asked by mccalls Mar 01, 2010 at 08:47 PM about the 1996 Geo Metro

do u need to stop the car completely before shifting into 2nd or 1st gear? cars ive  had before the clutches didnt do that !!  i dont have a car manual for it cant afford one either please  help me out thanks    

Keven Krantz
25

You should always stop before shifting in to first, but you can shift down into second on the move.

Indiana Bones
5

Kevin there's got a point better not to be in first unless your under 10k cuz the other 5 that i have owned all did the same. but after time all of them were able to shift into first from where ever. it comes with clutch wear after time . anything else? i have gutted and given life to many geo metros

metroman
0

Ever since i have owned my 93 geo metro lsi 3cyl for about 5 years i have always had to stop first before shifting into 1st gear. Dont know if this is how they were from the factory but just my observation with mine .

metroman
0

Also i have never had a problem down shifting into 2nd gear though.

gdewey89
35

you should not have to stop to down shift but you should be going at a lower speed. if you have to stop i would put money on having bad syncros