98 Dodge Durango Starting Problem

JimmyDean
0

Asked by JimmyDean Jun 16, 2010 at 05:30 PM about the 1998 Dodge Durango

Alrighty guys , I need some help. I recently started to experience starting trouble
with my 98 Dodge Durango. After I let my Durango sit overnight , it has some
trouble cranking. When I get in and I crank it all I hear is a loud "CLICK" sound.
After the third or fourth time of trying to crank it , it will eventually start and then
runs fine. I have no problems starting it afterwords. The trouble only occurs
whenever I let it sit for a long period of time. I thought that it might be my battery
, so I went and got it changed however I still had the same problem. My Alternator
tested good at a local autostore. One time after I got it finally cranked I got the
error code P1682. While I know that it stands for "Charging System Voltage Too
Low" , I cannot find any suggestions on how to fix it. Maybe somebody here has a
solution to this problem. Please help me!

Dan Connell
6,645

the clicking signifies the starter is partially siezed up, but after a few cycles of the key the motor must create enough of its own heat to unsieze, id pull the starter personally

Sigurður Guðmundsson
1,585

X2 on the starter have it looked at. If you get the code P1682 you also need to have the alternator checked. This is what it says on the trouble code site: Charging System Voltage Too Low - Battery voltage sense input below target charging voltage during engine operation and no significant change in voltage detected during active test of generator output circuit. Here is the link to the site : http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

milliebaker
10

1998 dodge durngo will not start

milliebaker
10

1998 dodge durngo will not start and get fire at all

race20
15

Have 98 5.2 had some of same problems---first clean connections and charge battery if thing s stay good for couple days then go back to clicking you have a drain on the system. mine was the rear wiper disconnected it at switch problem solved durangos have problems with shorts and bad grounds. if it clicks a few times then starts then doesn't recure for a few starts its starter selonoid . i had waited too long to fix selonoid burned up starter so had to replace hole starter