Tranny going out or just a seal

carquestion
0

Asked by Jun 08, 2010 at 07:44 PM about the 1973 Chevrolet C/K 10

I have a 73 k10 that is leaking like crazy out the front of the transmission. i was told i just need a seal but could this be the sign of needing a new tranny? I go through a quart almost every day. Also when my truck warms up it makes it harder to shift into higher gears.

hillbilly79
35

you shouldnt have to worry about a new tranny unless the fluid smells burnt but i would replace that seal as soon as possible

Cody Lavoye
55

replace the seal and that should take care of your problem but like the other guy said if your fluid smells burnt or has a funny color to it like if its a purplish then your clutchs and bands are going in the trans but if its a nice red color they your fine

Richard Long Jr
55

I had the same problem with my '86, as long as the fluid is still bright, doesn't smell burnt, and is clean then just replace the seal between the motor and the tranny.

califcarson
9,485

If you are luck to have a ton of money, get a new transmission, or new vehicle. The best money savings is a new seal, but get a guarantee.

13,315

this post is a year old soooo, pretty sure it's resolved but, just in case. The front seal is the pump seal, if all gears pull good then just drop the trans and replace the trans pump and seal, filter change wouldnt hurt either.