My 89 Chevy c 1500 goes into gear but won't move I know when the engine is running if listen really good you can hear the gear turning when I put it in to drive or reverse it does not move its like the trans is dead its either one of four things bad pump or linkage or lock up switch or governor

chardogg
0

Asked by chardogg Nov 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet C/K 1500

12,865

You will know if its in gear because all these trucks 'thunk' when you shift them if you hear that thunk then its not the linkage. The pump is a possibility, have you checked the fluid while running and while off. If its a bad pump there wont be a difference between running and off. Also have a friend inside the truck put it in gear and look underneath at the drive shaft, what is it doing? The 700R4 to my knowledge doesn't have a governor and a bad tcc lockup switch would either prevent lockup which would create really crappy highway gas mileage or it would be stuck in the lockup which would cause a serious jerk and an instant stall out every time you shifted into gear. i would start with checking for the thunk, then check fluid. if you have a positive sign on both and the drive shaft isn't turning when in gear then tow it to a trans shop.