my rag joint deteriorated on my 68-442,i bought a new one but it wont go over the the grooved shaft coming out of the steering box easily.How do i get it over the grooved shaft so i can hook it back

68bama442
0

Asked by 68bama442 Jan 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM about the 1968 Oldsmobile 442

i just tore the rag joint on my 68 -442 and i cant get the new one over the grooved shaft coming out of the steering box.is there any way to grease it or lube it or freeze it so that it will easily go over the grooved part.ive spread the metal as wide as i can w/o cracking the part. once i get the piece over the grooved shaft then i can put it all back together.i tried to hit it and im just not happy doing that.how do i do this?

45,695

Sorry, I've never had the pleasure. Are you sure you have the right part? Can you dunk the joint in hot water to make to more pliable?

judge_roy

Probably have to loosen the steering box and push it back to replace the steering coupler. These are not expensive.