1988 Merkur Scorpio User Reviews

Have you driven a 1988 Merkur Scorpio?

Displaying all 4 1988 Merkur Scorpio reviews.

Appearance:
Overall:

Love It! — I loved having this car, because it had all kinds of weird options on it, like reclining REAR seats, and automatic wipers. Also, it was a very inexpensive car, and it was very reliable. It handled great, was fun to drive, and looked good too. Plus, it was fairly unique. Most people didn't recognize it by name. Getting replacement parts for it was a bit tough though.

Pros: Awesome car - top notch.

Cons: Hard to get parts - or find mechanics.

Scorpio

Looking for a Used Scorpio in your area?

CarGurus has thousands of nationwide listings and the tools to find you a great deal.

Appearance:
Overall:

Freakin Spectacular — so yeah, my car is pretty much amazing. It may not look that great, but hey, A lot of things don't look that great, but they still run freakin awesome, that car is old as hell, and it still runs perfectly

Pros: It's Amazing

Cons: It's old

Appearance:
Overall:

Love It. — Love the power everything of this car, even electric tilt rear seats. The 2.9L V6 twin throttle body is unique, but the ride is excellent. The front suspension is a little weak where the front control arms are located by the anti-roll bar. But the general shape is Euro with a taurusish look. Turns heads as nobody knows what is is.

Primary Use: Utility (towing boats, transporting cargo, etc.)

Pros: Unique

Cons: Hard to get parts.

1988 Merkur Scorpio Hatchback Review
says:
I still have the 1988 MerkurScorpio in my driveway. If I had the money to get it checked out, I would get it repaired and drive it forever. I love the car and loved driving it. It has the most comfortable seats of any car we have owned. Family and friends also admired this different styled car. From the outside, it did not look as roomy as it is. One would never know it was a hatchback. Laying down the back seats, offered a great amount of space to load everything from home improvement supplies to three large dogs. They liked sun/moon roof feature. The options put into it (which were standard equipment) was way before its time. Having an exterior temperature reading inside the car was great to have, especially in Texas heat. Merkur thought of everything and then some. Even the unique key. I got great gas mileage (26 city/ 30 to 31 hwy), I put about 150,000 miles within the 14 years I drove it. I loaned it to my daughter to drive and somehow the transmission started acting up. Other than replacing the AC fluid to the required type, the car never failed me. When this problem came up, I was not in a position to get transmission work done, but I couid not sell it in hopes there would be a chance I would be driving it again. Now I should part with it, but it will be used for parts. So if any one who wants to take a chance that there are useable parts, I would consider parting ways with the best car I ever had. Just wished Ford, Lincoln/Mercury would have kept Merkur Scorpio in the line-up.I would have bouoght another one.
vs1989 Merkur Scorpio Hatchback
  • Cargo Capacity
  • Family Car
  • Value
  • Would Buy
Power Ranked 1989 Merkur Scorpio Hatchback worse.
"no change between 1988 and 1989"
Handling Ranked 1989 Merkur Scorpio Hatchback worse.
"models similar"
Looks/Style Ranked 1989 Merkur Scorpio Hatchback worse.
"They are too similar. either year model works for me"
Front Seats Ranked 1989 Merkur Scorpio Hatchback worse.
"models similar"
Back Seats Ranked 1989 Merkur Scorpio Hatchback worse.
"Interior was the same for the 1988 and 1989"
Cargo Capacity Ranked 1989 Merkur Scorpio Hatchback worse.
"models similar"
Family Car Ranked 1989 Merkur Scorpio Hatchback worse.
"models similar"
Value Ranked 1989 Merkur Scorpio Hatchback worse.
"models similar"
Would Buy Ranked 1989 Merkur Scorpio Hatchback worse.
"I did buy the 1988 Merkur Scorpio and it is still the best car I ever bought. For the price and equipment, there was none better for me."

Displaying all 4 1988 Merkur Scorpio reviews.

1989 Merkur Scorpio Reviews

Very Unlikely To See Another One On The Road At The Same As You . By Paul

It was fully loaded, Burgandy with Black/Ebony interior. Power rear seats the car was a H/B ,rear wheel drive with fully ind. suspension. The engine was a 2.9 ltr V6 with auto trans. the heating syste... Read More

Have you driven a 1988 Merkur Scorpio?