check engine light comes on after riding at 55 mph

racebo
0

Asked by racebo Feb 12, 2007 at 07:38 PM about the 1995 Ford Probe GT

My Ford Probe is doing something weird, the check engine light will come on when I ride at 55mph or more if I'm under that the check engine lght will not even flinch. Once I turn off the car and crank it again the light remains off until I go over 55mph again. Any suggestions out there?

10,945

Hello, This is most likely an oxygen sensor problem, although there is no way to be sure until you have the codes checked. The check engine light indicates there is a malfunction in the engine management system. A fault code will be stored, and someone with the proper equipment to read it (such as a mechanic) can give you an exact diagnosis. Don't worry though - an oxygen sensor should cost less than $100 to fix if that turns out to be the problem. Best of luck! CarGrrl