headlights are not working

jonjon70
0

Asked by jonjon70 Dec 25, 2010 at 02:08 PM about the 1996 Saab 900 2 Dr SE Turbo Hatchback

headlights are out .......fuses are good.....lightbubls are good

Michael McGrail
5,415

Check for voltage coming out of your headlamp switch. It may be bad.

Derek Searles
125

Check the fuse with a test light instead of just visually. Turn the switch on to where the lights should be working then ground one end of the test light and touch each side of the fuse with the other end. If it lights up when you touch both sides then your fuse is good. If it only lights up on one side then your fuse is bad. If it doesnt light up at all then youre not getting power to the fuse or you have a bad ground on your test light. I have had a couple experiences where a fuse looked good but it didnt work. Sometimes it just needed to be removed and cleaned.

John McLelland
75

Mine did the same thing (9000cs) - it was intermittent at first - they'd be on, then go out. Flicking between high and low beam sometimes brought them back on. I checked fuses & bulbs etc but no worries there. Eventually I took it in to an auto-sparky, and he narrowed it down to a faulty headlight relay switch. Pulled it apart, cleaned & repaired it, reinstalled and no problems since. It's one of the big multi-pronged switches in the big switchblock in the engine bay. Might be worth investigating.

JCT2000
80

My 98 SAAB 900S Convertible did this. It was the headlamp relay in the fuse compartment under the hood. It was just loose. I noticed that the high beams worked though because they are on a different relay.