Questions about 1996 Ford Explorer Automatic Transmission

99guspuppet
0

Asked by 99guspuppet Jun 03, 2013 at 12:15 AM about the 1996 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XL 4WD SUV

Engine is a V6 ....    VIN 1FMDU34X8TZB62436   I do not know what the option packages are.

#1 Where do I find the model number of the automatic transmission... is stamped on the transmission ?
#2  The front servo cap is cracked... fluid is leaking.  Where do I order a new cap ?  What does the servo do ?

I can supply photos if they would help.

6,455

Generally speaking, Ford either attaches an ID tag to the tranny or there's a square plate with ID information on it. There's also the sticker on the driver's "B" pillar with a trans code (easier). I recommend a reputable trans shop for parts and info. A good transmission man is worth his weight in Gold.

OJ
3,040

I have a 96 V6. According to my tranny guy there was only one tranny available for v6 models. If the servo is leaking oil it must be replaced. But here is a heads up. On the 96 there should be a heat shield mounting with two bolts, It would partially cover the servos and act as a barrier between the exhaust system. If the shield is gone it will overheat the servo and it will crack and leak again. Ford no longer has parts for model mears ten years old. Search the junk yard for a v6 still in the vehicle. When the tranny and engine are removed from vehicles the heat shield is normally discarded. Good Luck.

99guspuppet
0

Thanks for the help. The Explorer has a heat shield plus I am pretty sure I could make one. I would love to see your comments covering what was done to the servos. They are covered with some sort of gray goo that is pretty hard. I will post some photos soon.