'96 Maxima GXE--constantly turning off at low rpm(sometimes while moving)

A Facebook user
55

Asked by Joseph2184 May 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM about the 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE

has anyone had to deal with the problem in the past? im guessing its related to idle, or something with idle--idle air control? maybe something with vacuum pressure? the car likes to turn off when slowing down to a red light, stop sign, etc.....it will turn right back on, but constantly is turning off while trying to downshift back down to 1st gear.....could this be related to the tranny/torque converter? plz help

A Facebook user
35

Did you tweaked the little plastic black bolt over the Throttle-Body to control the idle ? the idle should be at 650/700+- RPM

A Facebook user
55

the idle had been raised....the car would still turn off.....the car has no cat converter.....i had that replaced with a straight pipe, but the cat had a sensor on it, im guessing the secondary O2 sensor....but that wouldn't cause the car to be turning off like it is.....im lost!

Daniel Carrion
25

I have a '97 Maxima SE and i was having the exact same issue. Its your Mass Air Flow sensor. Once I changed my, the car was riding like new again. Installation took like 10 minutes. Check that out.

A Facebook user
55

thanks man

Daniel Carrion
25

No problem.

willbur
30

don't replace the mass air flow sensor just yet if it gets dirty or a spider web gets attach. to the filament yes i said spider web it can have all problems that you are having .go to the auto parts and buy a can mass air flow cleaner try that first good luck

roman3860
20

My 1996 nissan maxima does the same crap please help me!!

Rafael Avalos
10

I had the same problem I replaced just about everything that had to do with the ignition, and nothing help. Then i found this wise man that told me to replace the coolant temp sensor, so i did. And after spending alot of money on spark plugs and all that other stuff a simple to change out twenty dollar sensor fixed my problem. My car now has 200,000 miles on it today and still runs like a champ. I live this 1996 maxima

hutchison79
30

I have a 1996 Maxima and for a while my car would randomly stall out and/or die on me with no warning. After a while I would have to turn the key several times to start, in addition to that. I was told it could be the MAF, throttle position censor, vacuum leak etc. Turns out it was a $30 Ignition Switch. Problem solved and runs beautifully.

JDaWn068
20

I have currently same exact problems.... Have replaced battery,2 oxygen sensors,knock sensor,computer,unhooked radio thinking due to possible short, still have exact same probs!! Dies while driving!! When at light, put car in neutral and push on gas, this willwill help until u can fix car! Always have plenty of gas, when mine gets 1/4 or less it starts dying all the time!