'96 Maxima GXE--constantly turning off at low rpm(sometimes while moving)

A Facebook user
25

Asked by Joseph2184 May 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM about the 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE

has anyone had to deal with the problem in the past? im guessing its related to idle, or something with idle--idle air control? maybe something with vacuum pressure? the car likes to turn off when slowing down to a red light, stop sign, etc.....it will turn right back on, but constantly is turning off while trying to downshift back down to 1st gear.....could this be related to the tranny/torque converter? plz help

A Facebook user
25

Did you tweaked the little plastic black bolt over the Throttle-Body to control the idle ? the idle should be at 650/700+- RPM

A Facebook user
25

the idle had been raised....the car would still turn off.....the car has no cat converter.....i had that replaced with a straight pipe, but the cat had a sensor on it, im guessing the secondary O2 sensor....but that wouldn't cause the car to be turning off like it is.....im lost!

Daniel Carrion
5

I have a '97 Maxima SE and i was having the exact same issue. Its your Mass Air Flow sensor. Once I changed my, the car was riding like new again. Installation took like 10 minutes. Check that out.

A Facebook user
25

thanks man

Daniel Carrion
5

No problem.

willbur
10

don't replace the mass air flow sensor just yet if it gets dirty or a spider web gets attach. to the filament yes i said spider web it can have all problems that you are having .go to the auto parts and buy a can mass air flow cleaner try that first good luck

roman3860
0

My 1996 nissan maxima does the same crap please help me!!

Rafael Avalos
0

I had the same problem I replaced just about everything that had to do with the ignition, and nothing help. Then i found this wise man that told me to replace the coolant temp sensor, so i did. And after spending alot of money on spark plugs and all that other stuff a simple to change out twenty dollar sensor fixed my problem. My car now has 200,000 miles on it today and still runs like a champ. I live this 1996 maxima