Compression on ford escort 97

Micheal Harmon
0

Asked by Micheal Oct 06, 2013 at 09:50 PM about the 1997 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Wagon

I replaced all things to do with fuel
but I took my spark plugs out to test
spark and there was no air
compression comming out when
starting car.

18,195

Did the timing belt break?

Fordtudor37
3,585

PLEASE CLARIFY FOR ME - You re-installed everything, then pulled each spark plug "one at a time" checking the compression (with a compression test "dial type" gauge) and then re-installed each spark plug before going on to test the next cylinders compression rating. OR ARE YOU SAYING - I pulled each spark plug and looked to see air rush out of the cylinder when the engine turned over ? After reading this do you see the difference between "reading" compression and just "looking" at air.

Micheal Harmon
0

Ok your right we pulled one spark plug at time put our finger in the hole turned the hey no air pressure at all in each of the spark plugs we replace fuel pump fuel filter check fuel lines it sound like it wants to start but it wont

Micheal Harmon
0

And the timing isn't broken

diyfixer
95

The timing belt has either skipped a tooth and the cam is out of time or simply it dropped a valve seat and no longer seals thus no compression (common)..

diyfixer
95

Here's a picture of a dropped valve seat on a head:

Micheal Harmon
0

Would that cause it not to start?

18,195

Yep

diyfixer
95

No compression means no boom boom, no fire, no go go, the rat done died and the dish ran away with the spoon.